A good informational article about Rattlesnake hunting

Vince Pagliaroli

For those that are interested.

Check out the article about the retiring PA state champion of Rattlesnake hunting.

The Wellsboro/Mansfield Gazette tiogapublishing.com

Tried to find article but seems have to subscribe. Would like to read but not interested in a subscription to do so. I was told there used to be rattlesnake rodeo's that the small town fire/rescue departments in the rural towns would hold to raise money for their department. They had a pit with rattlers and teams of two would go in with burlap bags to catch as many as they could. Because of the high cost of the antivenom, they kept one vial on hand, and as soon as it was used, the event was over. I looked up and I believe it was in 1986 the practice was banned based on "cruelty to the snakes".

The article brought a smile to my face.

In the late 60's and 70's a good friend would hunt rattlers with Jake Bingle, and go to all the roundups. If you ever stopped at Hallers in Tionesta, PA they had rattlers in a case out front of the store. Jake and my buddy supplied some of those rattlers. Some folks may think PA isn't "wild"....

VP

That was a nice read. Rattlesnakes are cool to see. There's a few around our house in CT, together with a healthy population of copperheads. I enjoy seeing them, pretty much any snake. My only concern with venomous snakes is the dog. My wife takes him for long walks (3-5 miles) on paths in the woods every day. Gunner definitely tries to stay away from snakes, we've seen him detour or back up from various serpents a number of times. No doubt he smells them. But you just never know.

Anyone who thinks PA isn't wild obviously never made the Drive on Route 6 all the way from Honesdale to Erie.

Thank you for the link. Very interesting seeing the snakes I've seen have been in Potter County.IMG_5156.jpg

Carl said:
Anyone who thinks PA isn't wild obviously never made the Drive on Route 6 all the way from Honesdale to Erie.

Say it again Bro! One of my favorite roads The Grand Army of the Republic Highway.

And ya chickens ARE vicious....

Back