A little motor help please...

Ed L.

Supporter
I was given a 1992 Johnson 40hp motor. It needs a power head. Any thoughts of where to get a power head rebuilt in the midwest?

Thanks,

Try Tom's good ole boy's repair up in the cities. ;>) ;>) He doesn't have anything better to do.

I'm sure Tom could do it but I wouldn't blame him a bit if he didn't even reply! Probably want's to stay as far away from this as he can! I hear that's what retirement is all about.

Suprize, I will answer. I will check on a company that I used to deal with for rebuilt short blocks. That really is a good way to go, bolt on with a warranty. I am neck deep in projects so I don't dare take on one more thing. maybe by next winter;-)). Wway too busy being retired.

Suprize, I will answer. I will check on a company that I used to deal with for rebuilt short blocks. That really is a good way to go, bolt on with a warranty. I am neck deep in projects so I don't dare take on one more thing. maybe by next winter;-)). Wway too busy being retired.
Thanks Tom, any help is appreciated.

Ed, if you don't mind shipping it try these guys. Best in the business. the machine shop is huge and they are the NICEST guys!!!

http://www.riversidemarine.info/index.html

Trip.

Ed, if you don't mind shipping it try these guys. Best in the business. the machine shop is huge and they are the NICEST guys!!!

http://www.riversidemarine.info/index.html

Trip.

Thanks Trip. Shipping is not out of the question. Pricing used boat motors is a puzzling enigma for sure. Everything I searched takes me to the NADA book which says a running motor is worth $250 bucks. I got a local quote to rebuild the head for "Around $1850". Doesn't anyone hard quote anymore? Around $1850 to what, my first born, my right arm?...jeesh!

Ed,

That quote isn't really out of line for a rebuild with a warranty. May be why it was given to you! Anyway, I rebuilt a 140hp suzuki in my garage with all ebay parts. Had never worked on an engine before. Ran like a champ until I blew it up in 19 degree weather. Frozen water pump - doh! You might try that.

Trip.

Ed,

That quote isn't really out of line for a rebuild with a warranty. May be why it was given to you! Anyway, I rebuilt a 140hp suzuki in my garage with all ebay parts. Had never worked on an engine before. Ran like a champ until I blew it up in 19 degree weather. Frozen water pump - doh! You might try that.

Trip.

Trip,

It's crossed my mind. I hooked up a battery last night and she cranks over so it's not locked up. I can turn the flywheel by hand. I need to check the cylinder pressure and go from there. I found a local machine shop yesterday that'll line bore the crank and bore the cylinders pretty reasonably. Bought a shop manual. I've never rebuilt an outboard. Since I don't have any investment yet it might be something fun to do in the garage this summer.

Ed

Ed, Riverside is the place, had a hard time remembering since it was 14 years ago when I dealt with them. They were the company that had the blessing of OMC to rebuild powerheads. Much more to the story but short version is I have personally dealt with them and always a good experience. If you decide to do it yourself don't be afraid to ask. Face it, if I can do it _________. Good Luck wish I could have been more help. P.S. There was a place in Fla. but I can't seem to find anything on it now.

Tom,

I remembered the place in Florida. Powerhead exchange out of Tampa. Rebuilt w/ 3 year warranty $895. I believe that's the direction I'm going. I'm not in a hurry so I'll shop a little. The cylinders have 125psi each cylinder. I believe that's a bit low for a motor to idle right. Seems I had a guy tell me some years ago below 140psi and it's a door stop. The kit for a total rebuild is $350. I have one cylinder that's been slightly scored. The other looks good. If the machining and kit cost is greater than rebuilt cost....well it's a no brainer! It would be nice to have the experience but it would be smart to have the warranty!..;-)

Thanks Chris...doesn't hurt to check.

Last edited:
I had never even worked on an engine or an outboard, let alone rip one down to cracking open the block. If you get a manual and take a pick of every step, it isn't too difficult. Plus we are here to guide you through the process grasshopper. Go for it:)

Trip.

Back