A Safety Moment for the Holiday!

Kristan

Wish all a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving! For those of us Hunting be safe in your outings...Would recommend if in a boat with mulitple people or alone you stop and have a "Safety Moment"...Prep yourself or everybody, whether old and new to the hunt, where everything is in your boat just in case things happen...A game plan wouldn't be a bad thing for those with mulitple in the party.

Some reminders:
-Where the square throw floatation device is located
-Fire exstinguisher is located
-Extra key for the boat
-Extra pull rope
-Extra prop is located
-Safety Kit
-Flares are located for the 12 gauge
-Extra Gas Tank
-If you layout hunt make sure each radio transponder is set at the right frequency before putting one in the layout and one in the tender...It must work so make sure batteries are fresh

For you deep green tree hunters running the forest and swamps in your region:
-Make sure people keep their hands in the boat at all times and off the gunwales
-Let people know which direction the boat is going per turn
-Not to mention everything else above

For you Single off the beaten path hunters:
-Let family know the area you will be hunting
-Check in peridocially if you have cell
-If you can afford a SPOT get one
-Write a note and put it in a plastic bag of your name, expected area you will be hunting relative to your truck and put under one of wipers.

For all keep one dry bag with a military wool blanket and an extra pair of pants, shirts, sweater, and socks for each participant in case that oh shit moment happens...

And last but not least print out a copy of the prayer for boating on this website for those whom want to read prior to each hunt from Rev. Larry Eckart, Chaplain of the Mighty Layout Boys...Mine is laminated in my wallet...I read it everytime I hunt...I honestly believe it saved us last year when an untied layout boat hyroplaned along the length of the boat at 25 mph, knocking 3 of 5 us on our backs while hunting the big waters of Barkley Lake...We can laugh about it now but it could have been very dangerous...Needless to say the boat did four or five flips 25 feet above the water before finally landing upright. I believe we hunted that spot where it landed that day!

If mother nature is throwing you a curve ball in the weather...Notice this and make a decision not to go...Sometimes it is just not worth it!

One to see all of you safe and get to experience your hunts vicariously through the the only website I view on a regular basis!

Regards and Safe Hunting this year!
Kristan

One safety thing to remember...that we just found out...be sure you have a fresh battery for your motor. These newer electronic ignition outboards will NOT run without a battery...period. Pull starting them with a dead or low battery will not run them either. The pull start is there ONLY if the starter goes out. Without the battery...no run. My son found this out the hard way.
Lou

That was two years ago Sac. That boat must have concussed you. I almost went out of the boat. McCullough took the brunt. He got smacked in the forehead. I couldn't believe how far and high a two man MLB could fly!!

I hunt alone and always wear my PFD when in the boat. It just makes sense you can never predict what circumtances you may end up in. It doesnt take long for something to go wrong that will put a damper on your hunting plans.

Back