A typical Long Island visit

Steve Sanford

Good morning, All~

Just got back from a 3-day jaunt to Long Island. It was the usual mix of family, friends, decoys and duckboats.

Susan and I left here Thursday immediately after leading a public bird walk in support of our local farmland conservancy group. We had 3 main objectives on this journey:

1) Visit my Mom - who had just taken a bad fall and broken both a hip and a shoulder.
2) Haul north a duckboat trailer.
3) Attend the Decoy Show on Saturday in East Patchogue.

All objectives were achieved with happy results.

It was reassuring to visit with my Mom - and we're optimistic she can rehab her way back to her old lifestyle - maybe with a cane this time. She turns 92 next month.

I had a fine time at the Decoy Show. Got to catch up with many friends I had not seen since the earliest days of Covid. And, I talked lots of South Bay Duckboat repair with several owners.

I hauled one trailer atop another - and got back last night after dark.

View attachment 1 Piggyback Trailers and Forester - better light.JPG

The 2 trailers fit together nicely. I lashed them with redundant systems - and had no problems over the ~250 miles.

View attachment 2 Piggyback trailers - closeup.JPG

The little trailer is part of a package I will be restoring this Summer - and bringing to Tuckerton in late September. As usual, I brought back a few duck-related items: a dozen Beans Coastals to restore for a customer; a pair of oars for the duckboat I'll be restoring; 3 Herters Model 72 Broadbill in need of new bills; and a surprise - a Scoter head I had carved probably 30+ years ago.

View attachment 4 Typical Haul.JPG

The Ash oars need a patch or two.

View attachment 5 Oars in need of repair.JPG

I may put a hollow Cedar body under this Sugar Pine head - in time for Tuckerton.

View attachment 6 Scoter Head B - closeup.jpg

It was wonderful to wake up to the farm this morning.....

View attachment 9 Farm to East.JPG

But projects beckon in the shop. Here are the pieces for new flap boards I had epoxied just before departing Thursday morning.

View attachment 7 Work Bench - Macioch parts in process.JPG

This new cockpit cover needs its paint - and I need to build a frame for a canvas storage cover that I will sew.

View attachment Cockpit Cover A.JPG

I'm headed first to our laundry room - in the middle of a major renovation - then out to the shop. I have turned the AC on there to avoid today's predicted 90 degrees. In the meantime, I will savor Susan's flowers - and the song of that House Wren atop the old hay tedder.

View attachment 10 Susans Flowers with House Wren.JPG

All the best,

SJS

As always, it looks like you are doing a good job keeping busy! Like the piggyback trailers.

It looks like you are in full on early summer there. I'm trying to snap back into the real world after the end of the semester and turkey season. Lot of projects here too.

That is a great cover, really like having a cover for travel.

Beautiful cockpit cover. I hope someday to be as busy and happy as you are.

What did you do for work before beautifying old duckboats and decoys?

it was soft but some decent Long Island decoys were on the tables. Maybe 15 tables. I was able to get a nice Reg Smith blackduck and a Maryland broadbill

Joe

Back