A5

One of the best patterning factory fixed full choke "Shootguns" ever made, along with the Model 12 Heavy Duck. In my opinion both are fantastic Turkey Swatters that put XX's in their eyes. Show up with either gun at a local turkey shoot and you should do very well, and make some other shooters unhappy.

If your going to shoot Bismuth, pattern the gun, and you will most likely be amazed at how tight the pattern is. In the correct hands it is a very good "Far Reacher" (not sky bustin'). Over decoys ya better be right on em, or it's a clean miss.

Congratulations on a very good find. They just don't make em like that anymore.

Phil,
Only way to know for sure what size choke, is to measure it. Just because the gun is marked, does not mean that it has not been altered at some point in time.

choke_chart.jpg

Say it isn't so. Splurging on the A5 instead of the new SBEIII!?

I think the better find is that chair.

Why would I want an SBEIII? My Super Black Eagle from 15 years ago still works great why replace it? What is the enhancement of the new one anyway?

I will tell my wife that all of you guys really like her setie.

I had a great 20 Ga A5 that was Belgian made . Sold it when we had to start shooting STEEL.
One of biggest mistakes I've ever made!! John

I think after you use it, and see how well it works you will put it to good use more than a few times a season. Why save it in great shape for the next guy, when it was made to go to work?

The sound of it cycling shells on a late season bitter cold snowy day is a sound you never get out of your head. It's unique to the A5. No other "Shootgun" makes that old time cash register working sound.

I can recall many a hunt on the East Coast prior to steel shot. Every guide and person I hunted with had their rusty salt water "boat gun". But when it was time to get down to business their A5 came out of the case.

Maybe so... but I bought it for a collection piece, not a daily driver.

Besides... without sinking a bunch of money into a new barrel, a full choke 30" barrel, will not be kind to the birds, as most of my shots are closer to 15-20 yards out, not 40.

Besides... without sinking a bunch of money into a new barrel, a full choke 30" barrel, will not be kind to the birds, as most of my shots are closer to 15-20 yards out, not 40.

just get out a hacksaw and take off the last 3-4" of the barrel, that will open 'er up.

:)

just get out a hacksaw and take off the last 3-4" of the barrel, that will open 'er up.

[/QUOTE]

Carl

Cut off wheel in a hand grinder would be faster.

15 yards can be pretty unkind to birds also...

We had a couple old timers shootin' bluebills off of Turkey Point scold us after we shot some bluebills layiing out. "Why go thru all that trouble to shoot ducks in the breast? Hell they ain't fit to eat or sell."

That was back in the 80's and that's about the age the hunters were. They were gunning from a portable burlap shore blind over antique wooden decoys, and were one bird shy of their limit.

I figure with a gun of that vintage, hand tools would be more appropriate when making alterations.

Oh... you guys are almost as funny as a barrel full of monkeys!!!!

Again... why go to all that trouble when I have a WONDERFUL SBE... 26" Modified (steel) choke... that with #3 Black Cloud, does wonderful job....

Well, I guess cause I cant see cutting the end of the barrel off a practically new SBE vs. some old antique, but to each his own I guess.

:0

You can go with a Cutts Compensator, or a Poly Choke. As so many did when steel shot came in, if ya really wanna give it that retro ruined handling and look.

Just kiddin'.

As for the SBE from what I read the new ones have more plastic in them than the old ones, like my M1 vs M2.

I'm a fan of well worn and a tad beat up "Shootguns" that still do what they were made to do. Kinda like gunning over wood, cork and canvas decoys that show their age with style.

Some folks buy and change guns now like they do smart phones. To each their own.

The time was, buying a gun was a major investment and commitment that ya worked like a dog to save the cash $$$ for. Weren't no credit card and impulse buy.

One of my favorite local gun shops back in the 60's & 70's was owned by a man that had a good supply of Brownings, Model 12's & Model 97's all NIB.

When a new customer wanted to see one he would say. "You have money?" If the customer said yes, he said "Let me see your money". Only then would he go in the back room to get what the customer wanted to see. Those were the days.

I dunno... When things are slow and the birds aren't flying, or I take a break from bird huntin'. I empty my gun and look it over real good. Remember how I got it, where we have been and how it put food on the table for many a season.

I'm most likely to old to get that feeling from a gun that looks kinda like a space/ray gun. Years from now the younger generation may feel the same about the guns of today.

You can send it to Briley and they will put in removable chokes and shorten it for about 300 dollars.

And Browning would still tell you not to shoot steel in it... You can buy a bunch of Kent Bismuth for $300

Back