Another duck hunt at the ranch

Al Hansen

My hunt at the ranch yesterday morning was fun but not many ducks. I only saw a few but then one doesn't need many to have a few on the strap! Murphy's Law was in full play on this day. First bird in was "my old friend" which is a greenwing teal hen. This is the 4th time I have seen her here. She arrives very early, yesterday at 6:16AM, 21 minutes before shooting time, and then always departs while it is still quite dark and naturally before shooting hours. Well, she has been such a regular customer that one day if she slips up and stays a bit too long, I'll just keep her there to attract other ducks. Nothing quite like having a real duck swimming about in your decoy spread. Besides that she is a cute little bugger and is very vocal.

Right after she left, I poured another cup of coffee. Not much time had elapsed when I happened to see a pair of mallards come into the hole. I quickly checked my cell phone for the time and it was 6:35AM. Heck, I only needed to wait until 6:37AM when shooting time started. What's 2 minutes, one might think? Well, they seemed nervous and necks were stretched fully. I gave another quick glance at the time and it was now 6:36AM. Right about then they flew away. Oh, well, such is the sport of duck hunting. I guess that is why I enjoy it so much because of the many variables within it.

With all this activity taking place I was more than ready. My Nova was in hand, the pups---notice plural on that last noun, were intently looking at the pond area, and I just knew that any second now more would be winging their way towards my set up. NOT!

I must reflect a bit on the strategy of taking Chipotle, aka Chip, along. Bev was telling me that when I leave for a duck hunt, the spoiled little guy begins to fuss very early in the morning, making it impossible for her to sleep, even though I close the door to the office. So, I thought I might just bring him along so that he could watch Habi in action. Who knows, he might learn something. He is not quite 6 months old so I thought I would chance it. I'm glad I made that decision----more about Chip in a bit.

6:37AM flowed right through to 7:32AM, when I finally had to take a leak. Since I get up around 3:30 every morning, I'm sure I had already consumed a pot of coffee before I left for this hunt. That normal Pain in the Rear End process of taking off your coat, pulling down the waders, etc., was now in full swing. Then as I had my left arm extended when I was putting on my hunting coat, I heard them. Three gadwalls, a drake and 2 hens, came zooming into the hole ready to land. However, they quickly spotted me back in the tree line trying to get my arm in the sleeve of my jacket while with the other hand I was grabbing for my shotgun. Murphy's Law was alive and well.

Once again, I sat there like a bump on a stump, wondering when the next group of ducks would be coming by. Chip was now getting a little antsy and I couldn't blame him. I got him to settle down and sit again. Habi is a good teacher, just like her mentor, Chili, was. Chip kept on observing Habi and followed her lead, which was fine with me. I thought about then that I would chance drinking one more cup of coffee. I poured it and then drank all of the java without having to worry about Murphy's Law.

By the time the smoke had cleared I made sure to look at the cell phone. I figured that the gaddies came in around 8:12AM. I was just sitting there, facing south, when I heard the "rush of air and wings" above me. This happens to be one of my all time favorite sounds of duck hunting. You can hear that distinct sound that ducks make when losing altitude in a hurry with their wings cupped. For me it is a major goose bump trip. Without moving my head I glanced upward and saw 4 gadwalls dropping down and then making a wide sweep to the left in front of me. As they swung around and came in on their final approach, I was ready. I had already whispered "STAY" to my troopers, who were now on full alert just as I was. The ducks never hesitated one bit as they flared back to land with feet outstretched. In that instant, I had the bead on the lead drake and pulled the trigger. He and the hen right behind him, both went down. Now I had two more gaddies, who had already landed that were now climbing quickly, trying to scramble out of there. I pulled on the second drake and he folded. The hen was now to my right and with my third shell, she, too, went down. Have I ever told you how much I like shooting Federal Dove loads---those 2 3/4 inch steel 7 shot beauties at ducks? Habi and Chip were out of there on that first shot.

What always takes place next is my frantic scramble to put down my shotgun and grab for my camera in the case. Since Chip had never gone swimming before, he stood on the bank waiting for Habi to come back with the first duck. That is when I had my camera in hand and was ready to take pictures.

_MG_4405_zpse6d444f5.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_4411_zpseeb8da04.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_4421_zpsb68c51b9.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_4429_zps82e3a58f.jpg
[/URL]

There was much activity going on and of course I was wondering how my young boy would be handling all of this. Well, it was almost comical but it couldn't have happened at a better time. By the time Habi came back with the third duck, Chip couldn't stand not being part of this so that is when he got really wet. Oh, I have seen him run along the shallow parts of the Rio Grande but never did he go in deep enough to where he had to swim. Thank goodness I got the picture of him almost sinking when he was forced to swim. Instantly he became a "waterdog"!

_MG_4455_zps6c17d775.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_4459_zpse45b8912.jpg
[/URL]

The last duck down was a hen gadwall that was alive long enough to walk off the ice and try to hide in the cockleburs. I walked Habi over to where I thought she would be and then watched as she methodically scoured the area looking for her. She quickly picked up her scent and it was over. When I noticed that two of the 4 ducks were wounded, it made me realize that I will have to get that bend out of my barrel when duck season is over this year. I am a snap shot shooter and with it still curved to the left a bit it is making a difference.

_MG_4486_zps521fd34f.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_4549_zps0ab6215c.jpg
[/URL]

I had to show you this shot because I felt so sorry for Habi when I saw all of those cockleburs. When she gave me the bird she shook herself and there was only one left on her for me to pull out.

_MG_4581_zpsd117f511.jpg
[/URL]

I was very pleased with how well Chip handled himself in the blind.

_MG_4595_zps62331b1f.jpg
[/URL]

I was so proud of Habi in how she handled herself with the presence of Chip. This is the first time this year that she has had to share the blind with another dog. Things went well.

Since I promised Bev that I would be home before she had to go to town, I picked up the empty shell casings, checked around to make sure all looked well, and then had the pups get in back of me on the Prairie 360. It was a great day to be hunting!
Al

Last edited:
Al, Great story!! Thanks for sharing to us ice bound Yankees. Today or tomorrow it might get up to freezing but it has been a rough last week of fall;-)) Murphy is indeed alive and well and still practicing law.

Great Story and Pictures Al, I really like the one of the older dog retrieving as the pup watches... I would titled that one "First Lesson"

Oh nice shooting once again - that's "clearing the air" so to speak with the Gadwals... You must not have a bead on the end of your barrel... :)

Al~

Good for you! And you get to wear the "Cap'n Triple" hat (although that "Scotch Double" on your first shot makes it complicated...."Cap'n Fourple?"???) An engrossing and well-illustrated argument for the 3-shot gun.....

All the best,

SJS

Al, great story and if i were you i would leave that bend in the barrel. Pretty good shooting!

The "instant waterdog" photo is priceless.....i can picture the flailing legs as he found out there was no bottom......

Al,

I dont always reply but I always read and enjoy your stories. That first sink...I mean swim picture will make a good before and after photo in the years to come. Thanks for sharing.

Tom~

Don't tell me Ontario is frozen solid!?!?

(Actually, it's hard to find much water on most of our rivers right now.....)

All the best,

SJS

Al, Great story!! Thanks for sharing to us ice bound Yankees. Today or tomorrow it might get up to freezing but it has been a rough last week of fall;-)) Murphy is indeed alive and well and still practicing law.

Well, Tom, I knew you were having your fair share of crappy weather when my daughter, Laurel, called from Minneapolis. Sorry to hear that. Should I tell you that today is going to be 63F? Glad you enjoyed the story. Yes, Murphy is alive!

Great Story and Pictures Al, I really like the one of the older dog retrieving as the pup watches... I would titled that one "First Lesson"

Oh nice shooting once again - that's "clearing the air" so to speak with the Gadwals... You must not have a bead on the end of your barrel... :)

I now wish that I had talked with you first before beginning this because I really like that story title, "First Lesson" that you suggested. By the way, there are still many gaddies flying around. Victor, it was just plain luck with that group of four.
Al

Al~

Good for you! And you get to wear the "Cap'n Triple" hat (although that "Scotch Double" on your first shot makes it complicated...."Cap'n Fourple?"???) An engrossing and well-illustrated argument for the 3-shot gun.....

All the best,

SJS

Cap'n Fourple---now Steve, that has a ring "wring" to it!
Al

Al, great story and if i were you i would leave that bend in the barrel. Pretty good shooting!

The "instant waterdog" photo is priceless.....i can picture the flailing legs as he found out there was no bottom......

I just might leave that bend in it unless the gunsmith thinks it will be an easy fix when I bring him my Nova to be cleaned when the season is over. Mark, I'm glad you liked that picture of Chip. He definitely was "christened" that day!
Al

Al,

I dont always reply but I always read and enjoy your stories. That first sink...I mean swim picture will make a good before and after photo in the years to come. Thanks for sharing.

Doug, thanks you very much for taking the time to make a reply. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and pictures. Chip is turning out to be a very special pup. He is a true lap dog when I sit on the couch. Now to get him his first duck some day---

Thanks for the stoty , nice looking honey hole.

Thanks, Dave. It is a favorite of mine especially the latter part of the season. The ducks love to come and loaf the day away in this area.
Al

Back