Anybody interested in a scull boat!!

Phil

If there's anyone inerested in a scull boat there is one at a local auction this weekend. I got a feeling it's going to go dirt cheap. It looks in good shape, it just needs to be glassed. It was built buy an older gentelman that never finished it before his passing, now his estate is up for auction. To be honest I doubt anybody at this auction knows what a sculling boat is. You can see a photo of it if you to auction zip.com and look up Great Oak Auctions. If any one is interested and wants more photos I can get them for you or if any body needs me to put in a bid I can also help with that. or you could bid on line or by phone. When I say dirt cheap I mean you could probably get it for $100.

Last edited:
A skulling boat is a great way to hunt. A lot of people don't know that there is a different technique to Skull boat hunting but I'm sure that a lot of people that use this website have a good Idea or even own a skulling boat themselves. I Tried to search for pics of the boat but couldn't find it on auctionzip.com. Thanks for the heads up though!!!

Actually, it's a "Scull Boat" and the action of propelling it is "Sculling". There are no "skulls" involved in this sport except maybe that of the ducks. ;)
Lou

Found the boat. It's looks like a Joppa Flats Float/Sculler.
To find it, you have to get to the Mass. Home Page for that auction and then go to Great Oaks.
It's in the photos.

Phil, do you have any idea who the gentleman was who built it? Who's estate? They had a bunch of those on display in the Museum in Newburyport,MA several years ago when we were out there at some friend's place. We ate a bunch of sea food, did the Lobsterfest (DHBP function), perused the Museum, walked around Newburyport, ate more sea food and had a great time with friends.
Lou

Last edited:
fi155.cgi

-D

You wouldn't need to glass it either. I think boats of that type and vintage weren't always fully glassed. just seams sealed and the rest painted.

Hey Lou. Some Friends? Boy how soon we forget. That was when Joppa was a puppy and a babe magnet :) Lots of fun times for sure. Oh and the sculling races at Lober fest too :) good times

Hey Lou. Some Friends? Boy how soon we forget. That was when Joppa was a puppy and a babe magnet :) Lots of fun times for sure. Oh and the sculling races at Lober fest too :) good times

Hmmmmmm, there you go "assuming" again that I was including you in the "Some Friends". Mary.....yes, without a question but you...........hmmmmmm. I think we were "combatants" in the scull boat race. As I recall, I came in second but YOU came in next-to-last. Nevermind the fact that there were only two of us in the race...you still came in next to last. ;)

Man, what a great time. It was one of the best vacations we've ever been on. Staying at your place, fly fishing for Stripers, time with Bomber/Karen, Ganser and the Whole Lobster Fest thingy. The day at the Museum was awesome. Anne & I even got some time down in Essex to do some antiquing and brought back a really cool oak settee that's in the kitchen at home.

Babe Magnet...no lie...I want to set up a puppy concession. You see it on commercials now. We did time it...less than two minutes after you stopped walking Joppa.....you had several chicks/babes around you. Wow...it was amazing.

Oh, by the way, Great Article on Skeeter. Very cool. I think you folks are doing great things with that kid of yours.
Take care "my friend". ;)
Lou

Getting off track of the sculling boat question, but Lou and Hank, what year were those "LobstaFests" - 10-15 years ago? Have photos "filed" in a box somewhere, will post if they surface after the corn's in. Saw Bill and Judy since springtime, and Alvin's had a bit of development around his property. The good food, excellent company, still a fond memory. Thanks for bringing it to mind...

Andy
This boat is plywood over a wood frame. Thats why I was thinking it had to be glassed over.
Lou
Thanks for correcting me.

I spoke to the auctioneer. He has been told the boat was built by a guy named "English" or England" out of Newburyport. Anybody ever hear of "him".

The 4 pictures I have seen suggests that if it was not glassed, although I'm no authority.

He also says he may still be able to secure the lead counterweight for the bow.

Phil thanks for posting this up - I think I'll give it a shot. I have a resource to help me bring it back to life (DHBP) if I am successful getting it. The only drawback is that appears unlikely that a small motor could be used.

Thanks again
Bill

Bill, if the person told you the builders name was that then it was built by Eddy England who built a bunch of Joppa floats in his boat house that you have driven by I'm sure a number of times. Eddy's shop is the old boat house that has the "no evacuation" sign on it on the way out to Plum Island. The sigwas to protest the nuke plant I seabrook nh years ago. Eddy built a nice float they are not the fastest boat out there but a great float to learn on because the are very forgiving in the water. I have seem those both with and without glass. You will definately need the bow weight to use it and I would not but the boat without the weight.
Lou your right that was a great time up at lober fest and if you start that puppy babe business let me know I'll buy stock. Thanks about the Skeeter article we are having a blast with him he is the joy of our lives. Tom see if you can did up some of those pics and post it would be cool to see. The fist loberfest was when Skeeter was just born and he is almost 12 years old so it would have been 10 years ago. Wow how time flies

Thank you for the information Hank. I am not familiar with the house but it certainly is a great bit of history. I will never forget the massive protests when the Seabrook plant was built. That sure was a different time. I'll pass on your comment regarding the bow weight.

Regards, Bill

Oh Bill if you get that lead weight for the front. Be sure to put a 110 horse motor on it. Have some one film it.... That could be a blast....thrill of a life time.

To tell you the truth Pete, in my younger days, I would have relished the thought. I am either more fragile now, or I just think I am. Either way, I'd rather watch you perform that stunt that do it myself.

It is one neat looking boat though, isn't it.

Best, Bill

Bill You will not have any problems using a small outboard motor on the stern. I have built several Joppa Flats boats and currently use a 16 foot float powered with a 2.5 hp Mercury.I usually add a small plywood pad inside the stern where the motor mount bracket tightens down. This is then replaceable and saves wear and tear on the transom. One change I would recommend is to build a narrow track inside the boat which extends forward as far as possible to the bow. This allows you to slide the weight forward while sculling and to pull it back ( attach a short rope) if you need to for rough water or easier motoring. Hope you have good luck if you grt the boat.

Back