Anyone want to doublecheck my wiring scheme?

Thanks for the battery advice guys. I think I will go with the lawn tractor battery to power the light system, I like the idea of a small lightweight battery vs. a 75lb deep cycle! Tod, this motor doesn't have a pull start, electric only, so I kind of like the idea of having 2 batteries aboard just for insurance during the winter. I also have one of those portable power packs that I'm planning to bring along as well. Being stuck out in the marsh in sub-zero temps with a dead motor is an experience that I'm not too eager to repeat!

I absolutely agree with your approach with no pull start. That is what I'd do too. A second reserve battery that can turn the boat over is prefect. There might be a small AGM (or similar) that will fir your deep cycle needs - the ones that I did not get great service from were West Marine brand.

I was thinking.... :). If you are going with two batteries, think about putting an automatic charging relay (ACR). Allows you to charge both batteries when running, but isolates them at rest. Not all that expensive and would be nice to not have to worry about charging your deep cycle if your motor puts out enough juice to manage both.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/35/Automatic_Charging_Relays

If your doing a long run from the battery to the fuses there should be a main circuit breaker near the battery Go with tinned marine grade wire. Go to Genuinedealz.com they have good pricing. Also use shrink connectors on everything.

Tom

Cody, the interior waterproof LEDs I installed in my TDB (one eight diode and four six diode banks) had small gauge, pretty "cheezy" wire, luckily they had a lot of it on the leads. I stripped insulation back to twice the exposed wire length needed to make the connection and folded the wire back on itself to double it in the shrink connector prior crimping it- still had one connection slip out post crimp.

Got you RL, we probably have the same sealed LED setup. I think I will solder and heatshrink those connections to be extra secure.

AFTER I finished, I decided that would be the best way to go....! Remember what Nixon said to Kissinger...Don't look back!

Back