Armistice Day Celebration Ferryville, Wi. Wis Boz

jim bosanny

On November 10th the city of Ferryville, Wisconsin held a ceremony to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the storm. Wis Boz was one of the honored guests. A Minnesota artist, Michael Sieve, allowed the city to use one of his prints on the plaque. Wis Boz was 15 years old hunting with his dad that day and was able to share his story with the group. A second plaque and picture will be erected at the Ferryville boat launch when addition funds are secured. We met some wonderful people who shared some of their stories of that day as well. A memorable day on the river.

Thanks so much, Jim, for this nice write up and photos. I hope you and your father went from there to go duck hunting again. Wis Boz, thanks for sharing your story with those that participated this past week.
Al

That is very cool Jim and Jim Sr. If I make it up there, I'll have to stop by and read it

My grandfather had hunted that mourning. Limited quick on ducks but waited for a rare(at the time) Canada goose to visit the marsh. He said the mid mourning push of birds was truly a sight to behold. He got off the water before the rough stuff took over. He said the party line phone system in LaCrosse was full of wifes and mothers looking for their loved ones that night. He joined a rescue party the following day. They found hunters who had died from exposure. He said it was a gastly sight. He gave me an item he recovered that day. It was a small match safe. I still have it this day.

I hunted many blue bird days with my grandfather. He always carried an old olive drab bucket full of survival gear including an axe, rope and a tarp. He won't go without it. Weather is easier to plan for now. I have a bigger boat that I need. Most say I carry too much gear. My grandfather would say it's just right.

Back