Artifacts...

Pat Gregory

Sharing some waterfowling artifacts for folks to see and enjoy. Two are letters my great grandad wrote to Charlie Perdew. One from 1939 and the other from 1942. One he's ordered a pair of miniature mallards for Charlie. The other he's ordering some duck calls from Charlie. Sorry about the size of the picture but, it's the best I could do. The penmanship is outstanding...

The second is a picture of one of my carving heroes, Ben Schmidt, Detroit, MI. In my humble opinion, Ben made one of the best gunning blocks going. He was one of the early carvers to use the feather stamping. Thanks to Jim Schmiedlin for giving this excellent piece of history to me.

I appreciate all our forefathers did for us and, the road they paved for us decoy carvers today. I thank God for them! Pat
View attachment perdewltr1.jpg View attachment perdewltr2.jpg
View attachment perdewltr3.jpg View attachment benschmidt1.jpg

Last edited:
Pat,
I really appreciate you sharing the history with the rest of us. Water fowling being rooted so deeply in the traditions of the past is one of the main reason i find it to be such a rich past time. That and I just love wing shooting and watching the dogs work.

I love the envelope, “Mr. Charles Perdew, Henry Illinois”. No street address, no zip code etc. Very cool

Very cool Pat. Its always neat to see the small things that made up the history of our sport. We have some old reciepts from the market gunning days from birds that were sold. Not sure if dad still has them but I'll see if I can dig them up.

Back