ATV Rack Suggestions Sought

Eric Patterson

Staff member
I recently bought a lightly used 2014 Honda Foreman and need to get it ready for the upcoming hunting season. I'm looking at adding a drop rack to the back, and maybe a rack on the front as well. I need it to haul my gun, bag, and sometimes decoys, plus other stuff. Any suggestion for a good set-up? I'm open to a DIY project too. Would love to see pictures and hear some thoughts on how you rig your ATV for duck hunting.

Thanks.

Eric

I had bought a 4 wheeler with the same thoughts you have. I did the front rack and a small back rack. Could never quite get all the gear on it I wanted and was sorta a pain to keep it on the 4 wheeler while traveling to and from the truck to the blind.

Ended up selling it for a Polaris Ranger side by side--best atv decision I ever made-- a side by side with the bed. The amount of room to haul gear is fantastic(just throw it in the bed) and I can easily add racks to the front if needed plus could also add a top rack to the back bed as well. Also much easier to get into a side by side with waders than onto a 4 wheeler.

Blake

A SxS isn't in the budget until my youngest graduate's college. Four more years :)

Anthony

I actually have a similar seat on the back now. Never occurred to me I could use it and the drop rack together. My son doesn't like the seat so it might go. Not sure. Looking at your front rack I realized my Honda has the main headlight integrated into the handlebar base. I may not be able to use a basket on the front without adding lights elsewhere.

Thanks.

Eric

ATV.jpg

I know this photo does not show it well, but I added a purchased "hitch" rack to the back of mine for hauling gear. I had the raise and extend the 2 inch square receiver, to gain more ground clearance.

20210115_101400.jpg

Last edited:
Thats the funniest looking duck blind ive ever seen. Just sayin'

Dave

I like that idea. I already have a rack. It is almost as wide as my trailer, which by the way has 24" tall walls so I'd need to raise mine at least that much or loading the trailer will be like threading a needle.

Eric

I installed one of the cargo carrying racks off rear trailer hitch on my old 300 Honda years ago. Mainly for hauling deer out without having to wrestle them onto factory rear rack. As Dave has done its not hard to modify that to a higher rear height to suit your needs. Something I've thought about doing many times for mine was come off front and rear rack edges with uprights to put a cage/rack above operator . Built out of aluminum to keep weight to a minimum and fastened so its easily removable. Mainly to be able to strap down a kayak or canoe overhead to get boat to some out of the way places. With a cage up there it could serve double duty.

Dave

We are on the same wavelength. I made a bed extension for my new Tacoma and used "telescoping square tube." I may be able to just weld a new piece that goes from the receiver and bolts to the rack itself (I'd remove the part already there). In this case I won't have to worry about weldless (telescoping) steel.

Thanks.

Eric

For an extended rear rack, you might take a look at Kolpin rear drop baskets. Not sure they'll fit your machine. I have a Kawasaki 650 with a drop basket, it's been very useful for almost fifteen years. I also have a few milk crates zip tied to the top rack behind the seat. Like Dave's rig, mine sees use ice fishing when not carrying stuff around the yard.

Eric,

I recently bought a used Honda ATV as well. In reseraching racks and accesories, people recommended Strong Made

https://strongmade.com/strong-made-atv-utv-accessories.html?cat=175

Good luck. Posts pics when you get it figured out.

Ed

Jonathan

Did it replace the OEM rack? Or is it on top of it? Looks like it gives a pretty sizeable spot for gear and another passenger.

Thanks.

Eric

SJ & Ed

I found both of those companies while searching. I'm about to order a hitch receiver from Strong Made and the Kolpin gear is high on my list of possible solutions. Thanks.

Eric

Back