Audobon Book

Mike Frechette

Does anyone know if Audobon put out a book with all of their prints ? Here's an example of what i'm talking about. Any leads you could give me would be appreciated.
CCLmrpQBmkKGrHqNgsEzrjspuiBNKWzW3p7Q_3.jpg

Mike,

Just recently a first edition Audubon's Birds of North America sold at auction for somewhere around nine million dollars.

Not sure that what you've shown us is an Audubon print though. It looks a little too realistic to me.

Yup, I think I have one of those books at home...somewhere. Cool book but not very good as a reference book for carving & painting.
Lou

Mike you can get it at your local library. Not the 9 million dollar copy, but a reprint. I borrow it from my library from time to time, impressive works.

I have a copy of "The Art of Audubon-The Complete Birds and Mammals" that has 655 of his published works of bird and mammals (although I was unable to find the picture you attached). My copy was printed in 1980 and has an introduction by Roger Tory Peterson. The ISBN is 0-8129-0841-4. Query the ISBN number on AbeBooks.com and you will find numerous used copies for as low as $1 plus shipping. Unfortunately for me, I bought my copy new long before the internet was available and most likely paid the $35 new price listed in the cover.

Last edited:
Mike,

Just recently a first edition Audubon's Birds of North America sold at auction for somewhere around nine million dollars.

Not sure that what you've shown us is an Audubon print though. It looks a little too realistic to me.

It looks like a Fuertes to me.

Right you are, Brad. That is a Fuentes of Double Crested Cormorants, European Cormorants, and Gannets.

Audubon did all of these as well, but never in the same painting.

I expected you to chime in here Bob ;-) There is a book that reprints Audubon's diaries, trips up and down the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers on flat boats...some incredible stories, all in his own words. Hitch

I m aggry with Lou ... very not the best reference ... The best one is photo ... google , image ... for life bird

Back