Bandsaw Question

Dave Walker

Just upgraded from an old relic Craftsman to Jet 14" DXPro. Got it all assembled and ready to tune...what is the funky film on the table, and what is the best way to clean it off. Also what are guys using on their tables for surface protectants??

My old saw was given to me and I used to just occasionaly wipe on a light film of oil and rub it off. I thought there was some type of wax that people are using.

Thanks
Dave

use acetone to take it off it protects the surface mainly from corresion in transit. I just wipe it down occasionally with a clean rag dont have much moisture in my basement no need to worry about rust. I guess occassionally you could wipre in down with a lightly oiled rag

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
.what is the funky film on the table, and what is the best way to clean it off.
That would be cosmoline, link to info about cosmoline. I like using WD-40 to dissolve and remove it.
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

I have used
[/font]Carnauba wax with good results. What ever you treat the table with needs to have the excess removed so that none is transferred to the wood you are sawing. The wax only needs to fill the pores in the surface of the table.

Last edited:
I use a good quality car wax on the table of my bandsaw to protect it from rusting in the shop. Seems to work very well.

Locke

Thanks for the tips. You would think the manual that came with it might mention a "getting started" section. Can't wait to fire it up....will have to wait til morning

Tanks Again
Dave

Back