bankes vs tdb

36mph in my Freedom with 75 Etec on it fully loaded

Last edited:
Yash, if you are considering a new TDB 17' Sea Class versus a Bankes Freedom, any comparison posts will not be applicable, since the new boats Tony is building will have the planing hull surface finished in a gloss gel coat, not the pebble finish that the existing boats have on them-far less drag when underway at planing speeds.

So many variables to this question that its going to be hard to put a true number on it. However I would bet that since the Bankes boat has more of a V hull than the TDB that it should be a little faster equipped with the same exact set up although props can change a lot of these factors.

Sea conditions, wind direction and speed, onboard load, direction of travel with respect to predominant wind direction, relative humidity, etc. all impact any boat speed test comparison. Yes,as Tony mentioned, prop blade material(aluminum versus stainless), blade number, as well as blade pitch also would have a marked impact on top end speeds. A ten horsepower greater maximum power would also skew the comparison further since maximum power would vary to a great range on the top end. A Bankes is also nearly a foot wider, with a hull that grades to a flat planing surface near the transom, using their chine tunnels for lateral stability. A TDB 17' has a semi-V hull nearly its entire length with a 6'-3" beam with molded hull strakes. Among all the previous factors impacting top-end maximum speed, hull configuration would likely exhibit the most minimal level of differentiation for these two boats.

Yash, you should also factor-in that a prop that would lend you the best top-end speed-based on pitch as well as blade number and its construction material- would also likely not give the boat a very good hole shot, particularly with a substantial load on board, at the front end of that interval to top planing speed at WOT. You can run through a lot of prop configurations prior finding one that yields the best overall characteristics for a work boat-I worked at a Great Lakes Field Reseach lab that MSU used to own. We constantly changed props depending on whether the work boats were pulling otter trawls, doing larval fish tows, pulling and setting gill nets, carrying dive teams, or doing benthos sampling, to maximize fuel efficiency and lower total gasoline consumption annually. When you are running a couple of hours each way under power, this adds up over a year, so slight incremental economy savings result in large total consumption values.

I have no idea how to answer that question, but top-end speed would be near the bottom of my concerns if looking at a boat of this type.

Yash,

I too was wondering why top speed would be a deciding factor for you. I can certainly understand wanting to get out of weather quickly if needed, but I suspect both will do that for you if properly loaded/powered. If one is quicker would that make a difference for you?

Thanks,
Ryan

Yash,

I too was wondering why top speed would be a deciding factor for you. I can certainly understand wanting to get out of weather quickly if needed, but I suspect both will do that for you if properly loaded/powered. If one is quicker would that make a difference for you?

Thanks,
Ryan
just trying to figure out what I'm going to purchase. Speed is.a necessity cause some of the ramps I use are up to 10 miles away from where I would be gunning. Time Is a factor

Time=distance/speed.

It has been pointed out that there are variables which impact your speed. With some simple math you can play with the speed variable to produce a rough idea of how much it could impact your time to destination.

I doubt the delta would be great enough to sway you one way or another.

Question: A TDB and a Bankes leave the ramps 20 miles apart, at the same time, trying to beat each other to the same spot exactly in the middle, which one gets the spot?

Answer: Neither, a guy in a Roy boat did a circle around each of them and still got there first

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Question: A TDB and a Bankes leave the ramps 20 miles apart, at the same time, trying to beat each other to the same spot exactly in the middle, which one gets the spot?

Answer: Neither, a guy in a Roy boat did a circle around each of them and still got there first
[/font]

Plus, the guy in the Roy boat has more storage space for decoys because he is not loosing any space to useless foam flotation.

Last edited:

not in anything more than a 6" chop
them roy boats do move, I used to have one with a 25
scared me at full throttle

[/font]

Plus, the guy in the Roy boat has more storage space for decoys because he is not loosing any space to useless foam flotation

WOW..... flotation is useless? Guess most boat builders, Bankes included, are building boats wrong.

Last edited:
I can not answer that question but the question I would like to know which is the dryer boat.which takes a following sea, head sea, cross see better. Which rolls more on anchor. Does any of the boats pitchpole or dive.
What good is a fast boat if you take a beating getting to the spot then get drenched in the process.

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/font]

Plus, the guy in the Roy boat has more storage space for decoys because he is not loosing any space to useless foam flotation.

Before we talk too much more about....funny stuff like Chuck's post.

I can't address your question about a comparison of TBD Sea class 17 vs. Bankes 17. But I do have a Bankes 19 footer with a 115 Yamaha. You don't need a faster hull. With a 21 pitch ss prop it'll do 43 mph. With a 19 pitch and a load of hunters and cork decoys it'll do 38 mph. Speed is no problem. I can tell you that it is a dry hull, easily handling following seas, rollers and even going diagonally across rollers. Minimal spray because of the chine design. I hunt big water and haven't been in conditions that gave me any concern despite pounding into 3 or 4 footers. Bow rides over and cuts waves fine. Does not surf or bury the nose in heavy seas or the next wave. I have heard some concern from folks that the TBD bow may submarine but never experienced it personally, the Bankes bow is high and has plenty of reserve buoyancy and sheds water fine. Never have taken a wave over the bow. It would take monstrous waves and excessive speed to pitchpole the boat. Following seas are not a big concern with the large motor well. The fuel fill access is in the motor well but never had any concern about water contamination. Handling and stability are good with low center of gravity/bouyancy. The boat is solid and I am confident in its construction and floatation. The craftsmanship is excellent. I have no ability to compare it to other manufacturers represented on this website, nor do I wish to sell you on a Bankes.

edited to answer a couple of other questions. It rides at anchor ok. The bow eye is too far over the bow to access from in the boat. So Michael has provided a front deck cleat. The deck is arched so addition of a bow roller sheave for anchoring is not possible. so I added bow chocks to keep the bow from swinging on anchor. I also have added 4 cam cleats within the cockpit to secure lines when tied to trees or bow and stern anchors but allow for a fast get away without messing with cleats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can second everything that Brad says about a Bankes.

I have Goliath ( hull#3) and have put it through more than it's paces over the years and am still amazed at what it can do.

Have you talked to Mike Bankes yet about performance? He's put enough boat/motor combos out over the years to have a very good handle on what will work for you.

-D

I have hunted and operated both boats, and they both hunt very well. But when mother nature decides to challenge you the Bankes boat is what I want to be in. I have a freedom with a 70 Yamaha UL and it is plenty fast enough, but more importantly it is dry and handles that waves extremely well.

I could go on and on how much I have enjoyed my boat but won't. Although I have had no direct dealings with the folks who now make the TDB I have had several occasions to deal with the people at Bankes Marine and they are fantastic.

Your best bet is to find people with the two boats you are looking at nearby and see which one works for you. I hunt bug water and the Bakes is always going to be my choice, unless somebody comes up with the exact same thing with an aluminum hull and fiberglass deck.

Last edited:
If I were in the market for a 17'er, I'd take a good look at the Duck Boss 17' boat. Tom is a supporter here and is quite the craftsman.

If I were in the market for a 17'er, I'd take a good look at the Duck Boss 17' boat. Tom is a supporter here and is quite the craftsman.
I understand that, but I did a brief search I'd like to see more videos of his boats in action the 15 looked like it did well but it was an ideal calm looking day.
also I need a boat that's gonna handle abuse. my Roy boat has had the Sheet beat out of it since I bought it practically mint and I'm satisfied with what I've had through from ducks to strippers to bow fishing its served Me well. Just need a bigger rig for the bigger water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back