Banks Boats and Duck Water Boats

The bottom line is what suit your needs the best. I have a Bankes and a Lund. One fiberglass and one aluminum, both well built but totally different and each well suited to my personal need. No one can tell you what is best suited to your needs and every situation may require a different boat. Both boats you are looking at are excellent so you need to consider which one meets your need. Consider the time of year, temperature, ice, speed ,wind and waves as a beginning in your search. Look at other boats hunting in your area and seek local advice, it will likely help in your search.

Hi Dani,

Thanks for your insight about about looking at local boats. My impression is that there is not much in the way of specialized duck-hunting crafts around Cape Charles. One kayak guide/owner I spoke with said he and his wife were buying (and he would recommend) a 17 to 19 foot skiff. I tried to take the conversation toward a 21 or 23 foot boat but he replied that he (and his wife seemed to agree) thought the 17 to 19 foot length was best. One of the cable guys wiring our house said he and a friend used kayaks. Thanks for bringing up the point about operating conditions as being a guide in making a choice.

Werner

Todd I did meet the owner of the Duck Water Boats company Two years ago at the Barnegat Bay Duck Show in the fall. Initially he was friendly but seemed preoccupied talking with some people. I was under the impression that I was being a nuisance to him with some of my questions. It was Sunday afternoon -so he was probably thinking more of getting ready for the log trip home instead of answering questions by what he possibly thought was a curious passerby. However, perhaps his annoyance with me was not just a one-off for this gentleman considering your post? Something to think about. Thanks for the input.

Werner

Werner, I've been traveling so it has taken a while to respond. I was particularly impressed by the fit and finish of the Bankes boats when I was comparing them with others. I wanted an aluminum boat in my minds eye for durability and weight and everything you think you know. But once I got in both and drove them and talked to owners I decided that the Bankes was a better place to invest my money. I've had zero regrets. It's a great boat that serves me well. Michael Bankes was open to my requests and was easy to work with. I found his construction to be superior, the glass is bombproof and warm, gelcoat rugged and it isn't going to need paint. Being in the Pacific Northwest I have lots of expectations on aluminum boats and I didn't find what I wanted. But this is really a Chevy vs. Ford debate. Both are worth looking at.

Werner, do yourself a favor and get a Bankes. I have 3 boats from them and 4 layout boats, I would not buy another product. I fish/hunt all over the Chesapeake have hunted the New England coast. Shoot me an pm and Ill help you out.

Dan
Black Duck Outfitters

Last edited:
Werner, I cant say anything about either boat, but some advice I can give regarding the Wrangler Unlimited. I would be very careful pushing the 3500lb GVW with it. I have one now that I tow a 1100-1200lb teardrop with, and every hill is a challenge! I love the vehicle for everything else, but it is underpowered for towing.

Geoff,

Thanks for your input. I think the current wrangler line comes in a gear/axle ratio of 3.21, 3.73, and 4.1. Do you happen to know what your gear/axle ratio is and do you think the gearing might make a difference? For example, I imagine the 3.21 ratio would have less torque as apposed to a 4.1 and therefore may make towing more of a chore. Any more insights would be greatly appreciated.

Werner

Werner

I have hunted out of both boats and like others have said it boils down to preference. I found the fit and finish of the DW to be a little sloppy but it was perfectly functional. In December the aluminum gets cold as well. But DW builds a tank. I have nothing critical to say of the Bankes. I have been to their shop and seen them build a boat and they are masters.

RL makes a good point about the keel protection. Trailers have been known to gouge many a hull.

On the topic of the Jeep... I would be more worried about stopping than going. My experience with big boats and smallish vehicles is that you can always get it moving (slowly sometimes) but when you feel like you are getting pushed through a stop sign or pulled down a ramp it gives you a sick feeling. Please think about this.

Paul

Back