been awhile thought id stop by and say hello

Shermie

Sorry if i have not responded to posts folks,,,My Missus is in a battle with breast cancer ,,,I just never seemed to find time to get on here.As for hows it going she is close to to her last chemo treatment...And most of you who have been touched by cancer know its a battle ...It was diagnosed just prior to waterfowl season opener and she under went surgery asap to remove one breast.I can tell you she is one tough cookie ,tough as diamonds .....Its one of them things where you see all you have loved in your wife be brought to the surface for everyone to see how courageous strong funny and beautiful woman she realy is....So far so good ...fingers crossed and prayers sent...
I did get to go hunting mostly she kicked me out of the house to get out of her way lol...when i get a chance ill post a few pics and storys of a wild adventure we had when i get a chance...
Thanks again
Shermie...

Shermie,

Good to hear a report.

Your wife has you by her side and she's going to knock the tar out of that sickness.

You guys stay well and I will keep you in my prayers.

Shermie~

What fine words you have found to describe your wife. It sounds like a wonderful woman has a good man to help her through the thicket.

All the best,

SJS

God bless your wife and family during this very trying time. There is a light at the end of the tunnel...stay strong.

Hey Shermie,
Sure good to see your name on this site once again. Glad to hear that Sheila is on that last chemo treatment. Give Mickey a hug. Hang in there young man. Prayers sent from New Mexico for continued positive reports about her.
I'll look forward to seeing some of those pictures, Shermie.
Al

It's good to see you here again. (I've got the bird feeder out and will send photos when the turkeys show up. LOL) I'm sorry to hear of your wife's battle. Cancer sucks. She's lucky to have you around to chase out of the house.

Best wishes for you and your family.

PS.

I hope it's warmer there than here this morning. We got just a hint of snow, but given the wind and temperature change, I'm betting a big coastal storm just missed us, and that usually means you guys get pounded.

Great to see you back aboard Shermie!

Sorry to hear the reason for your absence, but glad to hear that things are going well. I look forward to hearing more tales from your neck of the woods as you find time. All the best to you and your family.

Scott

Shermie,
Sorry to hear that your wife's been sick. It sounds like you've both been doing your best to help each other. I hope everything goes well.

Looking forward to seeing those pics and stories.

http://s70.photobucket.com/...odsBuddy/story/24731

Theres a link above fellas to a pictuage of the trips i got out to chase ducks and geese ill try and put words to discribe them as i can get time...I couldnt ask for a better season considering the circumstances...

Lots of laughs a few good storms to hunt but not enough at the right times .....always the way...

3 days before end of season...

a buddy and i decided to head to eastern shore area to chase seaducks and geese .The nite before just at the end of the day we were bombarded with hundreds of geese way out of range but this sight says to us we have to be on that island tomorrow nite.....and by nite i mean end of shootin for the day half hour after sundown....

so we pack up boat and gear and got out in the morning and sit dekes out nuthin all day ,,,the day was like the day before nuthing to worry about but this was about to change brutaly in favor or old man winter....We saw two boats head out on the high tide leave early for some reason we didnt clue in all them geese were still in the harbour and they flew right over the island we were on on the same wind the evening before....well it got overcast it got windy then snow started we were all excited it was our day....it had called for west winds 20 k and snow squals in afternoon going down to minus 8C so we didnt bring the dawgs....we could walk to get our birds on the half tide going down...dead low was around 9 to 10 pm...lots of water to get out and ours was parked where we could jump in and go low tide....

at about 330pm its gets considerably nasty way higher then forecast and by my geuss were looking into 50 knott winds and snow...the harbour is a wash in white caps and rollers 2 to 3 footers i says to me buddy we mite be staying awhile....At 4pm the geese started and flew until well after shooting time...i figured them dang birds were flying at 100mph with the tail wind they had we couldnt hit nuthin then i downed one ,,,, good i says lets get out of here the boat loaded we tried to launch and promptly got a face wash several nices waves broke on bow and sprayed us and it turned to ice instantly ,,,,we couldnt keep bow into wind,,,,i says to shore we go i was not taking any more of a chance then that...

so we flip up a huge 5ft high chunk of ice against another for a wind break and sit on the other...we put up a few other sizable chunks to ward off this wicked wind and snow and sand now was drying out on the beach and blasting at us....we would check the waves every half hour ...i had texted my wife saying it be midnite before we would get home and not worry we are warm and waiting for wind and waves to stop before we crossed...a few hunting buddies text me and i told them the predicament we were in .God bless the brothers of the feather they were gonna go and get there boats geared up and try a rescue...we were warm dressed for it and we had lots of them shake hand warmers [saved the hands] only thing got cold when wet from handling the boat....I WAS JUST DREADING if someone called the fire rescue guys we were fine been there done that plenty a times hunting the end of season....

well 7 pm then 8pm it started to subside the cloud rolled out the Moon popped out the winds down to a howl.My buddy and i sittin on the island looking out at the water dancing under the moon he yells something i take my hood down what? he says ya didnt mention a moonlight cruise in your brochure......!!! well i fell off the ice chunk on the beach laughin me arse off now that was funny ....i can imagine someone on the shore hearing us two old fools laughing our heads off in the middle of this adventure....

so we check and its down to 1 foot or less so i grabed the oars and start rowing for deeper water we couldnt get motor to run totaly encased in freezing spray an inch thick,so my buddy the whole time i rowed was facin the rear tryin to get the motor to go i had my hood up didnt know where the shore was i was tuckered so i stopped ,he egts it going yells i got it cranks the throttle and bump we hit shore ,,,,again two old fools laughin in the moonlight.... we get home around midnite my waders stood up by themselves when i hauled out of the back of the truck....

on way home forecasters said we were in 50 plus knott wind and freezing spray warning-23 C windchills and small craft advisory was issued that morning around 9am to late for us we were already out there by then....the next day i promptly found all weather sites and plug them into my phone .....

handwarmers and rain jackets made us comfortable with out ida prob called for fire rescue and there zodiac....
sherm...

Last edited:
Good to hear from you buddy. We went through the same thing here 10 years ago. Double mastectomy, chemo, and oophorectomy followed by the hormone replacement therapy (Femara). It was a sucker punch for sure, but Jane is healthy and strong and as bossy as ever.

Keep in touch,

Mike

Sherm,
Just saw this post this afternoon after reading your p.m. this morning & replying. Will be keeping your family in thoughts & prayers as your Mrs recovers!
You didn't tell me about your moonlight cruise either!

That's a great story Shermie,love the part about beating back into shore. Humor carries us through life's challenges.

Back