Binoculars?

David Stern

I always have a pair of binoculars in the truck with me. I was always wary of taking them on the boat with me as everything gets wet. Who carries binoculars on the boat with them?
What make and model do you suggest?
Stern

I used Steiners in the military, amazing clarity, infinite focus, almost indestructible.
But not inexpensive either.

I have a lower grade pair of Leupolds called Acadia I believe. I sometimes take them in the boat. Mostly use them for scouting and deer hunting. I honestly hardly ever use them while actively hunting. I usually use them to check spots out without having to go disturb the area.

Tim

I have a lower grade pair of Leupolds called Acadia I believe. I sometimes take them in the boat. Mostly use them for scouting and deer hunting. I honestly hardly ever use them while actively hunting. I usually use them to check spots out without having to go disturb the area.

Tim

I'm a huge optics geek. I have or have owned Leica, Leitz, Swarovsky, Zeiss, Nikon, Leupold, Pentax, B&L and Fujinon. Right now I own seven pair of binos from $90.00 Leupold Yosemites to $2,000 Leica Ultravids. Most of my binos are shockproof-waterproof, but things get beat around too much in a boat, so I carry my 6x30 Leupold Yosemite's in the boat. Those little Yo's have great optics, are waterproof and are guaranteed for life, can't do wrong.

I mostly used them for archery hunting in the woods so I got the 6x30s, for more general use I'd probably get the 8x30s. Ten power or above is too high for use out of a boat.

I bring semi compact waterproof hi end and now worry. I tried the cheap brands, You can see ducks with both with the better glass you can see the feathers.

Have a good pair for deer hunting. Go to gun shows and yard sales for the throw aways. Usually have about 5-6 pair around. Duck boat, truck, car and blind.

I got a used pair of Swaro SLC 10X42 binos a couple years ago. They are big and expensive but they go everywhere with me, including on the boat. I'm a bit of an optics junkie and will take the risk. They add a lot of enjoyment to the experience for me.

I have Scheel's Dakota Hunter. Didn't break the bank, water proof, decent glass, and life time warranty no questions asked. And I've tested the warranty already. Salesman went to the shelf and gave me a brand new pair. Worth checking out.

I have a pair of waterproof/shockproof Nikon Monarchs in 10X42. Perfect for the truck or boat, where I abuse them more than I should. They have taken it 4 years now.

I'd like something more compact and lighter for hiking and in the woods, though.

I think I paid about $175 for them--on sale, with some kind of coupon.

There are often pretty good binos available at good discounts at Sierra Trading Post. Rifle scopes, too, as well as all kinds of other gear.

I bought Leica 10 × 40.. I started out being afraid to take them out but finally decided they were a waste of money siting at home.

15 years of layout hunting and they are as good as new. Sure you could drop them overboard but the same applies to your shotgun or any other piece of equipment and you can put a strap on binoculars.

I bought Leica 10 × 40.. I started out being afraid to take them out but finally decided they were a waste of money siting at home.

Same deal hear. I have an old $250 pair of Cabela's waterproof I dragged through marshes for years and kept the Leicas for deer season and bird watching. Several years ago started taking the Leicas to the marsh and really enjoy the difference ever since. Get the best optics in your budget, you'll enjoy them and the trip a lot more than a "disposable" pair.

I tried a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32 that I think are a awesome all around bino, lighter and more compact than my 10x40 and excellent brightness at dawn and dusk.

Tom

I hunt out of a scull boat. Binoculars are a must. I like to pick out the species, and judge the birds behavior before the stalk. I have used a few types, and powers over the years. I have found the best by far for my purposes, are the Cannon image stabilizing 10 power. You can use them in the regular way to spot the birds, then when you really want to scrutinize the details, then hit the stabilizing button, and it’s like they are on a tripod, rock solid. No bobbing around at all.

Dale

Back