blk. powder shotgun load

rick born

looking for sum help with loads used in blk powder shotgun . I use to use equal equal rescipe lead to powder with a tad more shot good patterns on paper plates at 30 yds. I want to shoot bismuth for ducks would I add more shot to make up the weight of lead that I'm substuting. I'm using rs pyrodex for powder and 11 cap in 26 in double barrel gun. I have loaded steel to hunt ducks but didn't like it. thanks rick

I will be watching this one, I have a Pedersolli 10 that I have been threatening to put in the boat for years. I spent a whole summer screwing around with steel and gave up. I have some bismuth that I loaded for a departed buddies model 12 but have some loose to use in the 10 ga. I am getting a jones for a BP side by side 20, any words on that goofy idea?

Rick,

I have used "square" loads for several years in CAS. I tried the equal/equal with some non toxic and had no issues. That said, it was only a couple of sample loads and nothing I ever took to the field. There are some real knowledgeable folks on this topic who frequent DB so hopefully they will give you the 411 you are looking for. Let me know what you come up with.

I have a Navy Arms 12 gauge B.P. Shotgun. I used loads from a Lyman Black powder book. I was impressed with the pattern thrown; I sustitued steel for lead. It performed very well on geese-- On my first try I shot a double and they were both banded! I used to hunt inland corn fields. Now I hunt mostly saltwater so I haven't used it in 20 years--a lot more work keeping it clean--used to leave the powder in the gun til next time. if the Feds would give a few extra days oh hunting I'd start using it again! I have it packed away, but I think it's choked I/C and mod.

I can't help much with a recipe either, but I will certainly be watching intently. I'm still trying to conjure up a good turkey load for my smokepole this spring. I hope you find what you need.

Back