Boat heaters

That might be dicey in such a tightly enclosed area with gas fumes. What about a couple of old army wool blankets or some wool pants?

Nate

In one larger enclosed jon boat that a buddy has, he mounted a small propane infrared heater...12,000 btu's....but I think that would possibly be a bit much for your application.

I carry a 12,000 btu mr heater and a couple of 1lb canisters of propane when I hunt in some more remote area where I have a chance of becoming stranded in very nasty weather. Also a 12x12 poly tarp to create an emergency wind break -tent thingy.

What I use to keep warm on those cold windy days when hunting when a heater is not an option...hand warmer heat pacs....the type you can find at about any sporting goods.....you can even get them to fit down in your boots. http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/heatfactory.html

The kids gave me a pair of electric socks,,,and I sort of chuckled inside when they did....well I extended the battery pack wires up to the top of my waders..and tried them out....heck.. if you run them for 5 minutes here and 10 there the batteries last all day and your feet don't stay cold when it is below zero standing in that blind.

Wear wool also.

Matt

I know what you mean. Dave said he uses a small propane stove type with an open flame that he cooks on too and I really don't want an open flame I was thinking maybe more on the line of one of those Mr. Buddy heaters that Cableas sells. Really the only part of me that gets cold is my feet and when that happens all I can think about is my wood stove back home.

Is any body using heaters in their sneak boxes , if so what are you using?

Marlboro Ultra Lights. Had to cut back from the red pack.....

I think a suit like the B-17 bomber guys had to wear would be cool.

Mark W

Phil,

I use my 12,000 btu Mr heater to cook on.. darn nice to grill a sandwich....warm coffee....or soup or......warm my frozen hands

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=22

Matt

Matt I thought they had an automatic shut off if they tipped over? I was looking at the smaller one thats 4000-9000 btu's but it's 15" high and wouldn't fit under the aft deck, but if they run on it's back then we might have something there.

Those little Mr Buddy heaters you described, with the auto shut offs for CO and tip over that run on the little cans are good. I use them for guiding quite a bit. The only thing that scares me about the wool blankets is if they got really wet you'd add tons of weight to the boat. I think two would weigh about 100lbs saturated!

I just bought the MR Buddy heater last week. When it's running there is an open pilot flame, and on LOW and over a foot away from my waders it almost seemed too much heat. My damp waders were steaming. 6hrs run time on low on a 1# can of gas according to the instructions.

Phil,

You tip that unit over on the back to cook on....I have used one for years (since the 80's) for camping and hunting. You have to be careful where you place them,,not to close to stuff,,etc. and make sure you don't CO yourself to death

I have two of them you hook up to a 20lb tank and then the one that you use a 1lb bottle on.. The one lb bottle version I run off a hose from a 20lb tank sometimes.

Matt

Last edited:
Here is my heater on LOW. If you look closely at the bottom corners, you will see the steam coming off of my waders.
DSCN0581.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the Mr. Heater Buddy for ice fishing, it's throws off lots of heat and keeps us warm in a shanty in the coldest weather. I used it in a duckblind and it works well but haven't had the nerve to light it in a boat with gasoline tanks. Last month's outboard fire was enough for one year.

Phil,
I'd have to agree with Nate Grace. Sounds like a potential roman candle......assuming you are using a motor/ gas tank.

I have used charcoal inside a coffee can w/ another coffee can, bigger placed on top with holes punched in it. It screams hobo, but works fine.

Did you ever think of buying Gerbings layout blind heat pad or a Layout blind Final Approach Hot Seat? Both are sold by Cabelas. The Gerbings runs $99.99 and the Final Approach is $49.99.

Zane

Us dinosaurs used to put an inch of sand, or in our case cinders, a common volcanic rock around Klamath Lake used for parking lot gravel, in the bottom of a bucket, and burn charcoal brickettes in it. Since it's in a bucket, less danger from heavier than air gasoline vapors, very stable, very cheap. Oh yeah, the bucket was metal ;)

Phil if you need heat in that Estuary you are not dressing right.
Stay away from sparks and flames in that confined space
Agree. I've been peeling layers off once settled in. Out of the wind under the dodger and the accordion cover over the cockpit you'll be good to go if you're dressed right.

Hey Phil, I'm with Jimmy. I have'nt needed a heater yet in the Estuary. Last year we had some pretty cold days and my dog usually keeps me pleny warm. Best of luck with the boat....................Kevin

I know one thing...none of them are fly line safe. I had a surgeon from Miami drop 3 coils of fly line on the heater grate in one day. He told me...and I quote,"What are you so upset about....you can buy these at WalMart". REALLY?

They also melt and shrink neoprene gravel cuff guards and melt the hell out of breathable waders and jackets. All in all I avoid heaters like the plague but some days they are necessary evil.

When I got my Mr Buddy heater I loved the piezo ignition. The very first day I used it guiding I told the sports not to touch it...."DON'T TOUCH THE HEATER! I WILL ADJUST IT AND LIGHT IT!" I repeated it several times as I saw how fascinated one of them had become. He kept wandering over to the boat and holding his hands in front of the ceramic and examining the heater. After a while I turned it off and we drifted further down the river. At the next spot we got out and I got the other guy started and when I turned around I was able to see the other guy tinkering with the piezo switch on the heater..."HEY, SERIOUSLY MAN! I'LL GET THAT LIT FOR YOU!" Within a few seconds I watched him trying to "toggle" the switch which is a plastic button that you push in to fire the piezo. Of course the toggling got harder as I insisted,"HEY...I GOT IT!!" Finally he snapped it off and all the springs and guts of the thing just exploded into the river. Brand freakin' new and my piezo was gone. The guy says,"I think it's broken". Thanks Sherlock.

I called Mr Buddy in Cleveland and they told me that they'd be glad to send me another switch mechanism free of charge but it was "very complicated" and required installation at the factory. So, I light my Mr Buddy with a lighter now when I melt stuff.

Back