Boat Paint

Capt J. Stieben

So a few weeks ago I found a Carsten's Honker, a model they have discontinued years ago, but this one was down on the Mississippi River and was used as a fishing boat, previous owner had taken great care of it or lack of use it was insanely in great shape for a 80's model boat, but the owner had actually used Awlgrip paint in a shiny black from the rub rail down. So now during the summer I need to give that a color change, is Parkers the go to paint? lightly sand, wipe off, and paint?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Parkers out of the can will yield a good flat color coat, but it will likely chalk. I usually add boiled linseed oil at a volume that will yield a finish just short of semi-gloss, which will wear better. If you roll it on with a sponge roller, you will get an orange peel pebble finish which back-scatters light as well.

IF you are down in Green Bay, save yourself some cash and stop at the store and pick it up there. They have a broader selection than most of the duck boat paint retailers stock, too.

There is a paint maker in New Bedford Ma. It's George Kirby Jr Paint Co. The make paint the old way. Ask for Estuary OD
Phil

I've used a variety of duck boat paints over the years including Parkers. The finest, toughest, and longest lasting is FME (flat marine enamel) from Lou Tisch at Lock, Stock and Barrel - also a member here. http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/

All the paints mentioned above are very good, but when you go to prep it make sure you use a respirator and a tyvek suit. The dust from awl grip paint is toxic stuff,also wipe it down with acetone. If it were me I would also prime it before putting your base layer on.

Back