boat wiring

I may be using incorrect terminology and I am asking my buddies here for the correct product. The connectors I use have a semi transparent "heat shrink" covering a inner metal tube. this metal tube has a slot in the middle of it that holds what appears to be a metal disk. To use the connector, you strip the wires to the appropriate length and insert onto connector. You then crimp the ends to hold the wire in place. You then take a heat gun and heat the center part of the connector. That round disk in the middle melts and joins the wire together. You then move the gun over the rest of the connector and it shrinks around the wire and a clear gel oozes out the ends sealing the whole connection.

These are the connectors I am talking about. That disk in the middles sure feels, looks and behaves as a solder of some type. It is not a polymer I am pretty sure. I'll keep looking and post what I find.

Mark

You then crimp the ends to hold the wire in place. You then take a heat gun and heat the center part of the connector. That round disk in the middle melts and joins the wire together.

Mark,
I stand corrected, What you have there, is newer technology than what I am familiar with. I would be interested in a brand name or link for future purchase.

You then crimp the ends to hold the wire in place. You then take a heat gun and heat the center part of the connector. That round disk in the middle melts and joins the wire together.

Mark,
I stand corrected, What you have there, is newer technology than what I am familiar with. I would be interested in a brand name or link for future purchase.

I only know this cause I'm newer and younger than you Dave. And always will be by the way......

I'm looking for the "official" name for these types of connectors. The person on our floor who would have this info is out of the office and one never knows when he will return.

Mark W

cool product Mark. Wow - the things that are out there. I'm really happy with tinned wire and tinned crimps covered with adhesive lined shrink tube - but those blow it away if they work like they should. Damn neat.

I think Scotchlocks are a 3M product as well though :).

Last edited:
I only know this cause I'm newer and younger than you Dave. And always will be by the way......

And if you want to stay healthy,,,,,,,,,,,, it might pay you to keep some of your thoughts to yourself. I DO know my way around Lake Chetek. ;>)

And if you want to stay healthy,,,,,,,,,,,, it might pay you to keep some of your thoughts to yourself. I DO know my way around Lake Chetek. ;>)

Do be sure to stop in. Always have a spot to spend the night if needed. If nothing else I have a couple of tress you can stretch your hammock between. Maybe you can show me the fishing and hunting hot spots.

Mark

Bark bark bark. What is that? That is an old dog celibrating learning a new trick. Bark bark . Pretty interesting stuff, thanks Mark

Googled the new crimps with solder. Will be stopping at the marine supply and see if available, looks neat...

You can purchase these at most big box home improvement stores or auto stores. Fleet Farm around here has great prices on them. Non 3M so naturally I don't think they work as well (insert smiley face).

They also make more than just butt connectors. There are other terminals available with similar technology.

Couple things to be careful with. While some of the videos show heating the solder disk through the shrink cover, many times this method will melt the shrink cover. On the 3M brand, you can slide the shrink cover back and heat the disk to melt the solder. Wait for the metal to cool and slide the shrink cover back over it. Then shrink it with heat.

No need for further shrink as the good ones have the sealing gel inside the shrink.

Mark

Last edited:
No need for further shrink as the good ones have the sealing gel inside the shrink.

Mark,
Honest question here. If one slides the tubing off to the side to melt the solder, what happens to the sealing gel at that point? Does it not get wiped away by the terminal or is there enough clearance to leave the gel inside the tubing when the tubing is slid away and back again?

Mark,
Honest question here. If one slides the tubing off to the side to melt the solder, what happens to the sealing gel at that point? Does it not get wiped away by the terminal or is there enough clearance to leave the gel inside the tubing when the tubing is slid away and back again?

If you can slide it far enough way, the sealing gel des not turn "runny" and flow.

I've melted more shrink tubing when trying to melt the solder than I care to admit. I'm also a klutz which could be a contributing factor.

If you can slide the tubing away, I've found it to be a good method. Have to be careful so the older disk does not fall out.

Last thing, I know that on the 3M version, no crimping is required. They have what I am going to calla "one way valve". When you insert the stripped wire, a one way metal flap stops the wire from being pulled back when heating the solder and shrink tubing. Works pretty well.

Mark

Mark,

If you can slide it far enough way, the sealing gel des not turn "runny" and flow.

I've melted more shrink tubing when trying to melt the solder than I care to admit. I'm also a klutz which could be a contributing factor.

If you can slide the tubing away, I've found it to be a good method. Have to be careful so the older disk does not fall out.

Last thing, I know that on the 3M version, no crimping is required. They have what I am going to calla "one way valve". When you insert the stripped wire, a one way metal flap stops the wire from being pulled back when heating the solder and shrink tubing. Works pretty well.

Mark

in other words the gel is not a gel until heated - like typical adhesive lined shrink tube. right?!?!

I wholeheartedly second Tod Osier. I've been using naked crisps with adhesive marine heat shrinks (and tinned copper wire) on my personal boats. I've had years of use and no issues whatsoever. Those new solder crimps, however, have me very intrigued! Thanks for sharing those!

When I worked for a summer as a boat rigger, it was for a company that sells high-end 16-18' technical poling skiffs. The wiring was extensive and our customers demanded that everything work properly. Most of our customers were guides in Florida, so their electronics got a lot of use and abuse. We used the standard marine crimps with the heat shrink coating. I think they're made by Anchor brand? They also held up really well.

Back