Boats, Guns, Decoys and Spouses

Rob_F

On the "Aquapod OR Hellbender" conversation Mssr. Reardon, our brother in fowl, made this statement, "My current marching orders are that no new boats can come into possession unless I give up one of the old ones OR build a new shed so the current "boat shack" can return to use as a garage."

I believe I also read a similar comment in a thread about GHG decoys...... something along the lines of, "....like I need more...."

And it got me to thinking that perchance, particularly for the up and comers among us, some wisdom for the group might be offered.

I am not an advocate of lying and believe that the covenant of marriage is sacred.....

....however, chicanery and gamesmanship are required to make the nuptials blissful for the remainder of one's life....

To wit, keys to a long and happy marriage if you are outdoorsy and the spouse is not so much:

1) "Stash"- THE MOST IMPORTANT: It may not need to be a separate bank account, it could just be a velvet Crown Royal bag in the back of a sock drawer, but there should be a place to squirrel away money where the spouse isn't aware of the balance. A reload-able PrePaid Visa card might be the most convenient. If you are self employed, as I am, I recommend a bank different than your household finances.... very handy.

2) Sources of "Stash"- this might be anything from loose change to skimming a 5-spot off the sale of the old dresser. My personal favorite: when things are in need, like tires for the car, don't shop for the best discount, shop for the best REBATE. Most often the rebate is mailed to you. A $70 visa debit card is HUGE stash. Be creative, you'd be surprised the crazy places you will build stash from.

3) De-centralized storage: sympathetic friends, in-laws, family members and bosses can be strong allies in the storage of things. A couple bags of decoys are necessary to have within grab-n-go distance, it's like a security blanket.... however, physical assets are at risk of being counted, even subconsciously, by a spouse. If you have a trailer you can store someplace else, full of decoys, all the better. Also, rafters and a few other hard to reach places will often suffice. The KEY: if all the goods are in one spot it's easier to see the number of goods growing! Disperse assets.

4) You ALWAYS need more of "The One"!- companies go out of business, they discontinue product lines, they lose distribution, they get purchased by a larger company or private equity group and quality goes to hell. THIS is why, when you hear yourself say, "This is the best (insert product) ever", you go out and buy as many as you can. Happens every time, you'll need another/more the day AFTER they stopped making them. Then you're doomed to pay higher prices on eBay and spend your days searching Craigslist nationally. A prime example: G&H decoys. If you want them, buy all you can now! It's a legacy company that may not have a future in the land of throw away decoys, and if it does, you're darn tootin' the next owner is going to make them cheaper. You found the perfect gun for you: buy two, maybe three. My personal experience, pre-Benelli Franchi's.... wish I would've known then..... :-(

5) Cleaning game BEFORE you get home: I do not advocate breaking laws, but get as much of the game cleaned as legally possible. This goes to #3 and de-centralizing. By not cleaning ALL the birds at home there is less risk of counting. You might be entitled to more by the law, and I would argue that your investment in the pursuit DESERVES more, but for many non-outdoorsy spouses they have an illogical concept called, "Enough".... as in "haven't you shot ENOUGH ducks?". The henchman of Enough is A Lot. If you hear, "that's A Lot of birds....", beware: Enough is likely close by. No tailgate shots, no social media posts... keep the kill counts incognito

6) Plain Sight Strategies (from Garage Logic, Joe Soucheray): A local radio show guy in Minnesota has a show called Garage Logic. The genius of this strategy is to store something in the open for 48 hours and act like you've always had it. I.e. New gun. Put it in an OLD CASE. Bring it upstairs and clean it and lean it somewhere it shouldn't be. The idea is, spouse knows you have guns, but they can't tell one wood stock from the next, and all black synthetic or hydro-dip look the same. By leaving it out in the open you've given an opportunity for dismissal of the new purchase and thwarted the archenemy Enough. Break the logic cycle by doing the opposite of the expected.

7) Sales, trades, etc..... very handy covers. A decoy is a decoy to the non-outdoorsy spouse. So, if some old Flambeaus found their way into your possession, say through a deceased family members estate, and you were interested in some big water divers from the likes of a Pat Gregory, one MIGHT consider "swapping out" a dozen Flambeaus with a local kid to purchase said divers. Obviously, this is a key point for Stash to make an appearance; however, if wife sees the neighbor kid coming over and dropping you $20 for the Flambeaus, which you may tell spouse have a higher Suggested Retail Price but you are helping the kid out, then say, "Oh, hey, I'm going to the trade show Saturday with that $20 and pick-up some different decoys....", well, that just seems reasonable. Guns? See #6- as long as it's an exchange for the same action (pump for pump, auto for auto) you're 90%+ in the clear. But this strategy makes it a plausible play to go with a SxS Fox or Parker in "trade" for the Benelli Nova you won at the DU event. It might be a stretch in the #6 strategy, but #7 makes it a brilliant move.

8) Keep Spouse guessing, happily: in the days leading up to an exchange, clean a bathroom, organize the hall closet, etc. It can't be something Spouse always does that you can screw up. DO NOT do laundry. Ruin one sweater or pair of pants and this strategy is out for at least 3, if not 6 months, and spouse will be on the look out for what else you're screwing up. It should be "thoughtful" and focused on shared benefit.... obviously, a shared benefit more important to Spouse. For me, the three things I can do to help this cause involve Kids, Calendar and House. It doesn't take a lot, and it's things you SHOULD be doing anyway, if you had your priorities straight. But you're a duck hunter and you're faulted. This could also be called, "acting normal". But if you did that you'd be your neighbor, and everyone but people like your neighbor hate your neighbor..... oddly, the "everyone" like you is a minority.

9) Pure intentions: if deployment of these strategies is strictly to lie, cheat, or "get your way", you will be punished by the Almighty, or, you need to reexamine why you're married. These strategies laid forth are for the pure intention of maximizing enjoyment of your under appreciated lifestyle and are in no way offered as a "I'll show you!" or retributive "one up". If you are thinking that way you're better off at a bar with your neighbor whining about what you'd do if you had the character to actually do it. If these strategies are deployed with a pure heart you will receive the sword from the stone.... it won't matter in your relationship because you are wrong to begin with, but it does offer solace.

10) Say "Thank you": The non-outdoorsy spouse provides many things we outdoorsy folks take for granted. Steady income, health insurance, retirement/savings accounts, more living square feet than garage/shed square feet. They're the reason "normal" people invite us places. Definitely, the spouses energies are misguided. The House does NOT need to be kept as clean and orderly as a Camp and dogs SHOULD be allowed inside when wet. Regardless, you need to offer appreciation for what they bring to a broader life view.... without which, you wouldn't be looking for a marsh to escape to, rather, you'd be like your neighbor asking the other neighbors where to put the oil in your lawn mower......

Good luck, shoot straight, and keep dreaming... you might not be as handy as that Sanford fellow but at least you aren't your neighbor

I am not an advocate of lying and believe that the covenant of marriage is sacred.....

....however, chicanery and gamesmanship are required to make the nuptials blissful for the remainder of one's life....

Good morning, Rob~

This big grin on my face will last all morning ! What a wonderful piece of writing - and a startling (unsettling?) glimpse into the mind behind it!

Susan's and my 42nd anniversary is about a week away. Your profound observations will no doubt make their way into the "celebration"....and ensure that the bliss continues.

All the best,

SJS

I think the key to a good marriage is "early training".

Yes we have a garage, yes we have a basement, yes I work overtime hours.

The garage is mine! It is a wife's misconception that a garage is for her vehicle. Heck I can't even get MY vehicle in there.

The basement is mine! This is for storage of everything which will not fit into the garage. Said items will spill into the back porch, kitchen, bedroom, and living room until such time they get moved to the basement, usually not till the off season.

Overtime earnings are mine, nuff said.

Steve, 44 years for "Linda" and I, happy years I might add. :>) :>)

Last edited:
My canoe build project was moved to the basement from the garage for winter.....

.....text isxa wonderful thing.....

By the time I got home she had burned it all out! :)

Personal Car used for business reimbursement- this used to be my favorite way to get some cash to keep in the glovebox. Company changed its policy towards direct deposit of all travel reimbursement checks - darn.

I love Joe's rules. In addition to the 48 hour rule, here is one of my favorites - the 3 price rule. Goes like this. 1. The price you paid for the item. 2. The price you told your spouse you paid for the item. 3. The price you are going to pay should you spouse ever find out the price you paid.

Love the story above. I am going to forward to my hunting and fishing co conspirators.

Mark W

Great write up and advise there Rob. A lot of that hits home. Safes are great assets when one needs to hide some loot or "assets". Provided of course the spouse has no idea how to open said safe.

Case in point...there are two guns in the safe my wife isn't really aware are new. I haven't lied to her about anything since she hasn't asked where they came from. They all look the same to her. I finally broke down and purchased a new Beretta A300 to take the place of my 870 turkey gun this season. I had it out hunting one morning while the father law came over to visit. Now I had only shot it a few times that morning, but it's a semi-auto so it should be cleaned accordingly. Hey, the father-in-law is here, what a perfect diversion. So out it came for a good cleaning on the kitchen table while she made lunch.

She never gave it a second glance or asked asked where it came from. However, if one is going to employ this introduction of the new asset then the in-law should probably be enlightened as to the situation first. While I was putting it all back together he made the mistake of asking..."So how long have you had this gun?"

Oh no! I glanced up to see where the wife was and check her attentiveness prior to answering..."Oh I don't know. I little while I suppose" I muttered. That was the best I could come up with.

I finished putting it back together and quickly placed it back in the safe haven away from prying eyes. Turns out the wife doesn't really see much difference in the bolt action .257 Roberts or the new 30/30 lever action either.

There have been a few decoys that have made there way in undetected. But she's a bit more wary on those...the trailer tactic does come in handy for stashing new boxes the UPS guy delivers in an untimely manner.

Last edited:
So I'm not the only one.......#1 reminded me of a "bank" transaction that I needed to make.
As stated in #2, there are many avenues to supply your stash. It is only limited by your creativity. One I've found to work well is lending money. Now this is usually reserved for people of family relation, if they are members of your wife's family all the better. Now she has to be in on the lend and the repayment, but this can work well. One thing to keep in mind is don't get greedy. This money may need accounting for. So, "yes dear I can pay for the game admission from the money Jane paid us back." "Here is that cash you need for the Christmas doodad from the money Jane gave me". Now you are free to stash the rest of the money because it has been "accounted for".

A word of caution on the rebate trick. I got burnt this fall. Had to put new tires on the wife's car and got a $70 rebate. I had a big grin on my face right up until I filled out the rebate form and realized that the car is registered in my wife's name and therefor the receipt was in my wife's name, so the resulting rebate came in my wife's name. So close.

One other piece of advise. Boxes are the enemy. No matter how much we like to see that big brown truck pull in the driveway, you never want you spouse to see boxes and question "what did you get now". This is a time for a good hunting buddy or member of blood relations to use as a "ship to address".

Good morning, Rob~

This big grin on my face will last all morning ! What a wonderful piece of writing - and a startling (unsettling?) glimpse into the mind behind it!

Susan's and my 42nd anniversary is about a week away. Your profound observations will no doubt make their way into the "celebration"....and ensure that the bliss continues.

All the best,

SJS

Hi praise indeed, thank you Steve!

Not certain how it works for the women amongst us, but for the gents, father in-law and brother in-laws are valuable coconspiritors.... they are married or grew up with your spouse's mother and have a unique perspective on your situation as your lovely bride may tend to exhibit "traits" they are familiar with.... you have their sympathies.

I recommend the "just like your mother" trump card be used sparingly. If used too often it may actually encourage said behavior. I also recommend asking your father in-law how he survived.... this will likely get you to his good whiskey, that hg e hides, in the corner of the garage behind the rolling tool chest.

I offered to give her back once, he simply stated, "no returns" :)

I sincerely, but selfishly, wish my daughter has a significant other I can have the relationship with as I have with my father in-law. I'm a lucky man.

Early in my relationship with my wife, while we were engaged, I put was going to pick up a new shotgun. I brought her with on the day I was to pick up. She asked why she should go along. I said...You need to see this because this is what I do. Upon her birthday the following year, it was time for her shotgun. Then it became this is what "we" do. Over the years, pre-warning her of any impending purchase would at times result in a "we don't need that". So I figured out some things are best not discussed unless you have the undeniable sales pitch. I've heard the line.."Which boat are you going to get rid of then? of which at times I have and times I haven't. I do however like the sales liine Phowler Boats has...."The next boat you purchase may be the last boat you purchase" . That line my friends is key to your next boat purchase, gun purchase, decoy purchase...You can always use the line and keep the legal aspect of the wording in mind....May does not mean will or shall,....it means may. Good Day my boat loving brothers!

rob, thats one serious piece of writing! do you write humor for a sporting magazine? if not,you should. don't miss your calling. i have relatives in your area,and was thinking next time i'm up there,i would love to have a beer with you!

best,
bruce

Thanks good stuff to live by for sure.

I'm guilty of most of those myself, however I'm quite surprised, I thought I was the only one with such a deviant mind to come up with solutions to our, shale we say, quandary

Glad to see there are other "brothers" with the same mindset.

Lol....been following your list all my married life. I even put it to use last week. Knowing I agreed to drive the spouse to a business meeting in Minneapolis I checked the local Fleet Farm for an item I purchased a few years ago that I knew was no longer available. To my delight they had one piece of what I was looking for and at a savings of 65 percent off. Stash money was used and the wife had no problem when I explained my fabulous find. Planning is key.

I don't know guys.

I think you need to get more advanced in your training, Nikki is begging me to get another boat, and now after seaducking out of a bankes boat its hard not to run out and buy one.

It's kind of like inception, you need to make them think they came up with the idea. Lol

Brilliant post and thread, and I second the motion to encrypt and password protect.

I've also found the "honey, this particular item ensures my safety and that of the children" tactic effective, and recommend its use from time to time.

A buddy of mine is on #4...I once asked him how he justified a certain purchase and the look on his face was priceless when he said, "I gave up on caring about that a long time ago." I couldn't help but wonder what number he was on at the time, but opted against asking the question.

Fantastic write-up Rob, thanks you made me smile. I've used many of your techniques over the years to varying degrees of success, but I couldn't put it to paper as well as you. As an aside, my autobiography will likely be subtitled "And his many Crimes and Punishments".

Like others, I have enjoyed (30) years of marriage, lucky to have found the right woman. Time will tell if we have found the one tip which will maintain the peace for the rest of our lives, but encouraging her to purchase a toy of equal or greater value and size to yours virtually guarantees that cost and space will not be a factor in your next acquisition. :) Finding a way for her to realize her dreams is a pretty sure strategy.

Brilliant post! In my limited way, I have tried to apply these principles to best of my ability. The training module offered above will surely sharpen my skills.

Here, however, is the crux of the matter:

Oh, and has anyone figured out how to suddenly get another dog in the house without raising any ire?

Boats are in the same class. Decoys, guns, calls, and various doo-dads are easy enough to hide, but boats and dogs are large, require, significant maintenance and annual expenses, are highly likely to show up in photos, and the spouse is likely to recognize the difference between, say, a 14" Lowe and a TDB, or a Lab and an Irish Water Spaniel, in a way they might miss the fine distinctions between a Stevens and a Fox.

And we all know that it's the boats and dogs that really matter.

I can hide a canoe in the woods and get away with it, but if I took Dave Allen up on his kind offer and stashed a TDB at his house, she'd find out. And not just about a $150 Craigs List beater, but about real money. Worse, all those visits over to Vassalboro to put hands on my boat might have her thinking I was sneaking over there to fondle something else. Once that suspicion was planted, the fall back to "Oh no, Dear, it's just another boat," would not do me much good!

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful, Rob!

I had to restrain my laughter because I saw my wife looking at me suspiciously.

Under no circumstances should wives be allowed to read this.

When my Kathy and I moved to Hilton Head to serve a church here, I promised her I would take her to Charleston for a few days after Christmas.

Then I saw a nice 13' Whaler, "just a few miles past Charleston" I told Kathy.

In Wilmington, NC.

Said angel wife agreed to go to Wilmington to "look at a boat" instead of Charleston.

We had a great time in Wilmington between Christmas and New Years. Stayed at a nice hotel. Ate at nice restaurants.

And brought home a 13' Whaler.

Said angel wife: "you are not fooling anyone." She has enjoyed telling that tale many times.

What a woman!

Let's see here now. Since I sold my 13' Whaler this year in May and bought a 15' Whaler (from New York!!) in June, is it too soon to go looking at the next boat?

Probably.

Larry

Back