Bonus

Bill Abbate

I just recently purchased the book:

"The Outlaw Gunner"

I was searching for a copy in excellent condition. I wound up locating a copy at a bookstore in Maryland; coincidentally where the author resided. Included with the book were (2) 8x10 original photographs that were used in the book. Nice piece of gunning history. I wanted to share the photos with the group. Could it be possible that this was one of the family's copies ??

View attachment IMG_4726.JPG
View attachment IMG_4727.JPG
View attachment IMG_4728.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I've had a copy since the mid 1970s it looks like you found a family or editor's copy. Nice addition to your library.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a copy in 1993 at a gift shop in the Baltimore airport as I was running to catch another flight. Great read with lots of history.

As stated a great read....another good book is Game Warden Chesapeake Assignment by Willie Parker. He was the federal agent that was sent there to clean up all the shenanigans that occurred on the eastern shore.I can tell you this,he made a lot of enemies by doing so,but it needed to be done.

Dr. Walsh was one of the founders of the Easton Waterfowl Festival, and back in the day it was common to see him there. My copy was purchased 3-14-83. I was always fascinated with the Eastern Shore, Del-Mar-Va and Chesapeake Bay's waterfowling and place in American history.

Nice Find.

Both are good reads The big gun got all glory. A baited duck trap killed night after night. No noise an a lot safer.

Phil

I've a copy of that book that my father bought. Great read. Agreed on the traps and the auto's killing more birds. My grandfather died in 1938. He was older and my father came from his second wife. First family died in the 1918 flu epidemic. Anyway......he was a market gunner. Used traps and a pump gun as he was a poor black smith. Wish we had some pics of him!
On a side note.....5 or so years ago they fired off a punt gun at the Tuckerton Decoy show....very impressive. Can't imagine finding a raft of ducks, waiting till night fall and taking a shot!!

Back