Checking Red Cedar NDR

Shawn Linn

I am building a planter for a friend. When I cut the 4x4 posts they looked fine, but as I started to mortise the legs I noticed the stock is checking in a few places. My question is what adhesive is going to be the best I do a lot of woodworking, but rarely with cedar and I know if can be finicky. View attachment check.jpg

I am looking for an adhesive to repair the checking. My first thought would be to use titebond {wood glue)and clamp, but wondering if anyone has a better idea.

Shawn,
If it were white cedar I would use titebond. I have limited experience with red cedar but since I didn't know what you were asking I thought others might not either. Hopefully someone else replies with more experience.

I used a bunch of WRC in my BBSB rebuild years ago. Used Titebond III where ever I did not use epoxy and have had no fails. A couple things I tried to take apart tore in the wood, not at the interface.

Brandon and Dave thanks for the input that is in line with what I was thinking just wanted a little conformation before I got started.

Back