Conn. style blackduck

Mike Frechette

Finally the weather is starting to change so i've been getting some time out in the shop. So here's my take on a Conn. style blackduck. The primaries and tertails are inletted a bit and i think it gives it a nice look. I'll be painting it in acrylics with a simple paint job.

connblackhead_edited-1.jpg

connblack_edited-1.jpg

Very nice....I am working on my first head and it was coming along ok but now the beak is off center. Kept playing with it but now it's time to put it down and pick up a new block and start over. Very fustrating....but it takes time.

Mike: I like it very much. How wide is it? It looks like it will ride the water like a dream. Does that style normally take a keel?

Mike

Thanks Guys, Mike this is the first time carving this pattern so i'm not sure how it will ride yet. I'm trying to get that look when they sit very low to the water. I will be putting a keel on it not sure of the style yet but needs to be functional so i'll most likely flare the bottom out so whoever wins it will be able to wrap their anchors around it for storage. The pattern is roughly 15" long from breast to tail and 7 " wide by 4" tall. So far i really like this one and think it will be a very good working pattern so i plan on making a few for myself from this pattern. This one is headed to Conn. to be used in a raffle.

Back