corn field pit blind advice

bruce horning

any advice regarding pit blinds would be greatly appreciated!
pre-fab steel are nice,but expensive. wooden? bury a plastic holding tank?

thanks a bunch!

bruce horning

Bruce- I have a treated plywood pit blind that I made about 10 years ago, and it is still holding up very well. The blind is 8' by 5', and about 5' deep. I use a sliding top from an old garage door that is raised about 6" from the top of the blind. The top is corrugated steel painted with leftover black foundation coating, then I add natural field camp of dirt/cornstalks etc. The sliding top is the best part of the blind because when it snows the cover remains just like the ground outside.

I keep it partly open while the geese are approaching and I am calling/flagging, then close it as the geese get closer. When I shoot, I just slide the top open.

Warm and out of the wind!

Miller

so,more questions! how many can you hunt comfortably? what was the general construction technique? I'm excited to hear that i can build myself and it will last! any water problems?

bruce

Bruce- I hunt three in my blind, but I will admit that my preference is to hunt two. I divided the 8' length into three equal parts, and spaced the braces inside the blind so three hunters each have their own space. I used ideas from the commercial guide hunters in my area, and made my blind a little bit bigger. The commercial guide outfits make the pit blinds narrower, and hunt four per pit. They usually place four pits in a row with 20 to 30' separating each pit. They use the sliding top, and I used that on my blind.
My pit is on a hill, so I do not have any water issues. I do also have a wood floor that I built using hardwood pallets. I did modify the pallets to fit better, but it is nice not to have a wet or muddy bottom. I use a heater when an older friend of mine hunts with me, otherwise, I keep things pretty simple. I shoot a lot of geese each year, but I do hide some of my decoys when I'm not hunting so the geese don't get to smart about my pit location. The guide outfits do the same, they leave a few decoys out when not hunting, and set out all the decoys each day they hunt.
My pit is on my farm, so I had the luxury of making it as large as I wanted. It is very comfortable. Most days I only set out 12 to 18 decoys, half motion decoys, half big foots. Late season I add shell decoys on the outskirts of the decoy spread. Seems to work . . .
Good luck with your blind project, happy to share any other details.
Miller

Most of the pits out here are 10-12' long with a few longer. A variety of tops, lids and slides are scattered here. I hunted with older guy who made a camo screen over each hole so everyone could see the birds without peeking out.

Know your winter watertable. Plastic and fiberglass will float. Also, wood can collapse from the wet soil. Ideally, you wan to find a well drained part of the field to place the blind. Dig a hole in a wet spring and look for water. You may need to wait hours for visible water to weep if digging in hard pan. Otherwise, even if pit stays put, your pit will be a bathtub.

I hunted out of an 8' X 5' wooden pit for many years. We had a bench seat that slid on side rails allowing us to face north or south depending on the winds. The top could be lifted off and reversed accordingly. We also had a trap door in the floor that accessed a small well that fit a sump pump just about perfectly. That sure made pumping it out a lot easier when it did have substantial water in it. It lasted well in excess of 10 years before it was replaced with steel. Hunting the wood blind was always warmer than steel. Hunting 3 out of an 8' blind is not difficult but make sure everyone is wearing hearing protection and have clear rules around what is permissible for shooting direction. Hunting 2 is always better in this regard.

thank you James,Rich,Chris and Paul for the helpful advice. probably saved me several steps,mistakes and countless bursts of "fowl" language.

bruce

We installed 1000 gallon concrete septic tank to use a a pit blind. It works incredible and is reasonably cheap compared to metal or fierglass pit blinds. We made a sliding top on chanel iron and use casters to roll.

It works incredible.

Tank was about $500 installed. Other parts for roof, floors, etc were a couple hundred.

Back