damn puddlers

Chris Finch

we almost made it a month without shooting any.

we had a slow start to the day with only knocking down a drake buffie and a blue bill that we tried chasing down with the boat but we couldn't get another shot since it kept diving (we can chase cripples and gun under power in our south zone). but we took a chace to break down our long lines with a break in the gusty winds and decided to move. when we got to our destination we tossed out a line of buffies. we had almost instant action, we also got out of the wind. we kept seeing some puddlers moving that looked weird so we tossed out a few mallard dekes to see what would happen. well they were gadwalls and i have never seen one outside of the eclipse plumage and they are some beautiful ducks. if i had the 350$ i would have had the georgeous drake mounted or maybe the pair. but i will remember the hunt with my friends and family when we are sharing a large pot of duck gumbo.

603369_4671703602299_1891536753_n.jpg

10079_10200236806588101_142372146_n.jpg

that looks more like a Mobile Bay limit than a coastal CT one! Nice!

Way to go, Chris. Drake gaddies are really good looking. Glad you were able to get into some of them.
Al

I shoot lots of Gadwall up near Calgary but not many around here. Maybe one or two and they never look that good. Nice bird! Tasty too! How do you cook the bufflehead?

Tim

Speaking of Gaddys finally got my first duck band ever this morning and look what it happened to be. Merry Christmas to me!
IMAG1921.jpg

2012-12-25_09-17-47.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on the band! Don't hear of too many banded gadwall, that's a Merry Christmas indeed.

You've been doing well the past couple days, puddler action has been dead in my neck of the woods and I refuse to give in to shooting speed meat.

Back