Dani and other workers (edit w/ new photo)

Dani said:
Sounds like some hellacious winds that kicked up for your ride home. Maybe payback for teasing us poor working stiffs!

I hate when there are whitecaps rolling into the boat ramp. One second the bunks are fully exposed, then next they are fully submerged. In order to maintain boat control, one has to be going faster forward than the waves. At the same time, one obviously does not wish to slam into the boat winch. I try to position the trailer depth, such that the boat will settle far forward on the bunks but just short of the winch and up, high enough out of the water, that the next wave will not lift the boat and move it around.

Having years of experience to perfect my technic helps. However there was this one time I had a hull with a long tail mud motor. Overshot the trailer bunks and ended up with the hull sitting 30 degrees crosswise on the trailer bunks. The transom near the trailer axle and the bow hanging out in space. Just missed hitting the rear corner of the truck. It was a good thing the boat was small. I had to manhandle it back into proper position on the trailer with no one else around that day.

BTW; You misunderstood, I was not "teasing" the working stiffs. I was "sharing the experience". Ya that's it, I was "sharing", lets go with that. [sly]

Here in NY a hunter must take a Waterfowl ID course (and pass), to be able to hunt certain public areas. The card must be presented prior to hunting the areas.

Even though I have studied, and drawn North American Waterfowl since the 1950's. At the ripe old age of 61. I took the course with a group of youngsters, and had a enjoyable, and enlightening time.

I highly recommend the course for ALL waterfowlers, no matter the age.

The presentation from a teacher, and students point of view are first rate.

If it were up to me, it would be taught in all school systems, and not just to hunters.

VP

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Here in NY a hunter must take a Waterfowl ID course (and pass), to be able to hunt certain public areas. The card must be presented prior to hunting the areas.

Even though I have studied, and drawn North American Waterfowl since the 1950's. At the ripe old age of 61. I took the course with a group of youngsters, and had a enjoyable, and enlightening time.

I highly recommend the course for ALL waterfowlers, no matter the age.

The presentation from a teacher, and students point of view are first rate.

If it were up to me, it would be taught in all school systems, and not just to hunters.

VP

I like the idea. I had a now deceased friend that I attempted to turn into a real waterfowler. In spite of my numerous attempts to educate him on various waterfowl species, his usual upon an in coming flight of ducks was..."Can I shoot it?...Can I shoot it?'

Neil Schrieber said:
Congratulations, glad you are still young enough to get out .

Neil,

How are things going for you? Nice to see your name pop up this morning. I'm letting the weekenders have their time on the water today. I'll probably go out a bit later and do some fishing. Been picking up a mixed bag of Bass, Walleye and Northerns.

What a great way to initiate the duck hunting season. Way to go, Dave! Loved your shots and thoughts!
Al

PS
Send rain---

Back