Decoy rigging

Robert Van Sant

Having rehabbed my cork gunning rig over the summer I thought it was time to upgrade my rigging. I rig my blocks individually using a single weight with adjustable line. I attach it to the decoy with a long line clip. In the past I have used decoy line as a loop to attach the clip. I found online these braided stainless wire loops for 38 cents apiece, so I got 100. Normally sold as key chains. They have a barrel screw closure that i add a drop of locktight to to hold it together.

Last edited:
Very nice, love to see new rigs. Tricks are not just for kids!! Thanks for posting. This is one of the things that keeps me here year after year along with the amazing people. Thanks Eric and Chuck and whoever else is to get credit.

Looks good. Just curious about the metal to wood wear on the keel over a long period of time. I have some old decoys with wire in the holes, much of the wear is on the outside of the keel. In the 1980's I bought a bunch of those large, long SS clips. Found they were to heavy for the front of most single rigged decoys. Added weight I did not need. Instead I went with a strong fishing barrel swivel & snap. So far so good.

Looks good. Just curious about the metal to wood wear on the keel over a long period of time. I have some old decoys with wire in the holes, much of the wear is on the outside of the keel. In the 1980's I bought a bunch of those large, long SS clips. Found they were to heavy for the front of most single rigged decoys. Added weight I did not need. Instead I went with a strong fishing barrel swivel & snap. So far so good.

I'm 62 I'll wear out before the keels do. As a side note these are also available with coated wire.

I'm 66. The wire may wear off the paint on the keel and allow water damage. I hear ya though. Our decoys will be around a lot longer than we will...

I run kind of the same thing so I can swap out TX rigs and single long line muffin tin weights when I switch to big water. I bought a 500' roll of coated 3/32 cable for like $19 and it seems to be working fine

Back