Deploying dekes in the muck question....

Maybe a one person inflatable pontoon would work better then a kayak. I haven't tried or even needed to try to go through muck with mine but it does go over thick matted weeds well. You can sit in it and use your feet and oars to get over a lot. Sort of depends on how much you add to the draft of the vessel though. :)
The better ones are pretty tough on the bottom also.

Tim

Tim,

I had been thinking about one of those for some time now. Actually this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Canoes-Kayaks-Small-Boats/Pontoons%7C/pc/104794380/c/104710680/sc/104508180/Venture-Outdoors-6T-Pontoon-Boat/1314513.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FPontoons%2F104508180.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104508180

I have wondered if the blow-up pontoons would be heavy enough to not get punctured. The islands are full of old duck blind remains, pipes, floating blind anchors and just a lot of debris that is sharp.

Morning Ed,

I found this description online at Amazon:

A quick and simple camping solution, the Intex inflatable fabric mattress gives you a comfortable sleeping surface for your outdoor adventures. The mattress is made of laminated vinyl built to withstand the elements, with a unique wave beam construction producing a uniform sleeping surface. The mat is also topped with fabric to keep you comfortable throughout the evening. And when it's time to pack up, the mat folds compactly for easy storage and travel. Also functional as a pool or lake flotation device, the mat measures 72.5 by 6.75 by 26.5 inches (W x H x D).

You'd have to get hand paddles to move about, but it's simple, cheap, and light. Check it out.

Ed,

My family owned a peatbog when I was a kid. Same sort of thing you describe, too soft to get close. We used a heavy conventional rod/reel (40-50 lb test) and cast a heavy plug across the bog, then hooked the decoys on in longline fashion. Reel them into position to hunt, then reel them in at the end of the day. We also picked up dead birds with a spinning rod and a floating plug. Everything was always a mucky mess.

Ed,

My family owned a peatbog when I was a kid. Same sort of thing you describe, too soft to get close. We used a heavy conventional rod/reel (40-50 lb test) and cast a heavy plug across the bog, then hooked the decoys on in longline fashion. Reel them into position to hunt, then reel them in at the end of the day. We also picked up dead birds with a spinning rod and a floating plug. Everything was always a mucky mess.

Funny you should mention that. Last night I was in the basement and spotted my heavy surf rod and reel. Now I know I can't cast to the other side of the pothole but I wonderd if I could cast 8 or 9 decoys with a mushroom weight attached to the last decoy. If I could do that I could have a jerk chord setup where I could at least make some water motion. I'm going to try that this weekend in the yard. The river level is going down fast and Teal season is only a few weeks away. I need to get a plan together.

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4n-0XYnjM&feature=share&list=UUGitWg43nRP0CSnCY729jLw
www.thewaterfowlersworkshop.com

From your description of the pothole it may not be practical to walk around it, however, if you can there's no need to cast. Hook up the decoys first, walk to the other side while paying out line, then reel them over. Assuming the height of the surrounding vegetation permits it. You might not get to hunt the widest point, but at least you would have a couple decoys in the pond.

Another thing I just remembered. Years ago at a retriever field trial where I was a gun, the judges wanted some decoys but nobody brought a boat. We used the dead bird slingshot to toss them out, they'll go 50' easy.

Ed, get Lou to come down there with a radio controlled chopper to put them out, collect your bounty and retrieve dekes at the end of the hunt!!!! No weights needed as they aren't going anywhere. If no ducks are flying, then you can just have fun flyingf them around.

Trip

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S4n-0XYnjM&feature=share&list=UUGitWg43nRP0CSnCY729jLw
www.thewaterfowlersworkshop.com

Mike,

Very cool vid. I tried a spear fishing outing one time in Florida with a neighbor. There's a whole art to that for sure. I was NOT successful.

I also like Layout Baptism. I like hunting islands. I can't believe anyone would be in that water in a 12' boat! I've never layout hunted before but I believe that wave coming over the layout would have caused my waders to become migthy warm for a moment!

Ed, just be careful. Also think about your dog and if she can handle it in this area.
About 10 years ago, I found such a spot along the Rio Grande and now I know why most guys won't hunt that area and or the rio. I ended up trying to make a deal with God hoping that he would help me out of a predicament that I didn't think I was going to get out of . I was up to my waist in muck and continuing to sink with no evidence of a bottom. It became another time where I was 100% muck from head to toe as I crawled out. Probably the best thing I learned was to never go back there and I didn't. The ducks were thick as fleas in this area but I was so afraid after I finally got out that I never went back.
Al

Al,

Seems you have great negotiating skills. Glad your telling the story. This spot I'm talking about is just like that. Thankfully the day I was up to my waist I wasn't alone. Now at 57 I don't try the stuff I did at 27 or even 37. I won't take Lucy there either. Chances are it would NOT be a good trip. A freind of mine lost his dog in such an area some 30 years ago. He cripled a duck and the dog went to retrieve it and got stuck 50 or so yards out. The more the dog struggled the deeper he went until he was gone. There was NO way to get to the dog. We ran to were the boat was. Shucked the motor and all the gear. Dragged the boat back to the pothole but by then the dog was gone. Very sad day.

Another thing I just remembered. Years ago at a retriever field trial where I was a gun, the judges wanted some decoys but nobody brought a boat. We used the dead bird slingshot to toss them out, they'll go 50' easy.

My Son told me to nail a bicycle inner tube to two trees and slingshot them. May be the simplist form of deployment if I can find two trees close enough to nail to and close enough to the water.

Good thinking by your son. Hope it works for you, but I'm with Wendell-please post a demonstration video of the "flock" decoy cast. Wear a helmet. Goin' viral.

Ed, you have to post pics or a video of you trying to cast 8 - decoys with a surf rod. lmao

LOL...they are plastic Teal decoys. Maybe it will be that hard...:-\

Remember Ed, in the right spot you only need a couple decoys. I'd say three would be perfect. Then only shoot incoming birds so their momentum carries them close to you. When I went exclusively to a 20 ga. a few years ago I started moving my decoys much closer to me than ever before and guess what.........it didn't make any difference. The birds still decoyed just like they always did only way closer.

There seems to be some good ideas and thoughts brewing here. I like the idea of the air mattress. But rather than getting into paddles and such, what about using your previous idea for the decoys: That is, shoot an arrow across the water hole to the opposite shore. Have a fishing line tied to the arrow. The end of the fishing line can be tied to a thicker rope. Once the arrow is on the other side, pull the fishing line across to draw the thicker rope across the water/mud hole. Once the rope is secured on both ends of the water hole you could use it to pull your self out and back while floating on the big air mattress.

I would still consider running a long line on the decoys. Perhaps a short lead with a light anchor if really needed, and a second line from the decoy to the shore to pull them out.

Back