Depth Finder/Chart Plotter

Mark W

Good Evening -

I am looking for a device to help me get around some lakes. Here are some of the attributes I seek:

1. Depth finder
2. Chart plotter (I want to be able to find my way to places in the dark. I want to have boated to certain places while light out and save that route/plot). Then when I need to go somewhere in the dark, I pick the place I want to go to and follow the line on the chart. I believe this is called chart plotting.
3. Lake mapping
4. Fish Finder.

This device has to be super simple to place and save markers that I can save routes to. I've seen some that takes 3-5 screens to get to the place in the software I need to get to.

Can't cost an arm and a leg $2-300 tops.

Small footprint. I do not have a lot of room on the dash to mount it.

Be able to mount to transducer so that it fires through the hull.

I think this is about it. I am a real novice on this stuff so any info provided as to what I should be looking at is appreciated.

Mark

My experience with depth finder GPS combos would say to look at Humminbird or Lowrance.
The Humminbird finders are usually easy to see even in sun and are probably the top of the line right now. I haven't seen the newest stuff but If I were looking for one in you price range I'd look at the Helix 5 click here I don't think they make a smaller one with gps.

Lowrance makes good products. My nephew has a small fortune of their equipment on his bass boat. I thought they would be difficult to learn but once you do it a few times going through the menus becomes second nature. His are a little hard to see in bright light. Maybe some of the newer or smaller ones are better but I still hear that Humminbird is better in that department.
In your range the Hook-4 is about it. click here
I'm not 100% that the Hook-4 will save routes but I'd think it would show them, you'd have to read up more on that.

I've seen a small Garmin that did about everything you want, can't remember the model name now. I think if you look at the Humminbird or Lowrance screens you will like them better but the Garmin wasn't bad, it is small. Might be this one. Clicky thing I think I'd go up to the 5 if you can at least fit that big of one on your dash.

Going through the hull I have no idea about. Everyone I know who has them mounts them on the outside no matter that the hull material is.

Tim

Ahaa great minds think alike. Mark i am looking for the same thing, thanks for posting this up. I hope you get a lot of response. My hull is aluminum.
I have been doing a little research and humming bird keeps jumping out at me.
Thanks again,Bill.

Finding a GPS/FF with a good basemap and allows you to make routes in the price range will be easy, Hummingbird & Lowerance make them. Basspro, Cabelas and Academy all have good selections. BP & Cabelas are great because you can go in & mess with them in demo mode.

Finding one in that price range that takes the lake map chips or you can hook to your PC to download charts will be more difficult.

you can get a free or very cheap app for your smart phone, look up maritime navigation and look them over, basically a mini chart plotter. Won't do depth, but if you have your route planned out you won't need it. Something to consider...

Mark,

You may wish to consider the used market. First and second generation units are just fine and will do what you want at half the cost. Guys are constantly upgrading just to keep up with ???????? The biggest thing you need is a complete unit. Some guys are selling only the head, no cables, no transducer, no mounting bracket, etc. Others are selling a used head unit with new cables, brackets, etc.

Buying used may not be for you, but you can get more features for less money going that route.

Any of the straight 2d transducers can shoot thru the hull, albeit with some loss of signal strength. Want you do need to know is "WHERE" in the hull to mount the transducer. There should be a specific area DESIGNED for transducer mounting. It will be a solid layer of fiberglass with NO foam core in the specific spot. The signal will not shoot thru a foam core.

you can get a free or very cheap app for your smart phone, look up maritime navigation and look them over, basically a mini chart plotter. Won't do depth, but if you have your route planned out you won't need it. Something to consider...

I would get navionics chart for iPhone maybe android idk. It's a whopping $15 I think now but looks really good, has depth, can save waypoints and routes. If you want to pm me the lakes that you wanna know about I won't give up your spots

Tony

Back