Diver Longline Rigging Question

Jay K

This year I am planning on running my divers on longlines as I have about 40 or so to put out. They are currently on individual drop rigs but putting out 40, especially in deeper water, would be a pain. So I am going the longline route. I understand the whole concept. I figured out my line length needed, have some weights, know how long of droppers (18", no dog).

My problem is the line. I keep reading different things online. Everyone seems to recommend Doctari longlines. I have no problem paying for a quality product but I'm more than capable of doing it myself. I've decided on 6" longline snaps. My problem is, if I were to DIY, where do I buy the line? People have talked about tarring your own line (seems like a pain), using regular cord, etc.

So the two questions are:

What size/type cord for the mainline and where do I buy?
What size/type cord for the droppers and where do I buy?

Decoy Rigs - Indiana 219.659.8371 they don't have a website but they have everything you need (lines, snaps, knowledge). Probably have to leave a voicemail but they call back ASAP. I just bought 6 longlines from them and am very pleased with what I got. I talked to him for a good bit while I was deciding what weight line to get and he was very helpful.

I get my decoy dropper line and long lines from Decoy Rigging in Indiana. It's stiff and doesn't knot up. I get my Longline clips from Memphis though. If you don't plan to have a dog I have gone a 6-inch droppers for long lining.

Last edited:
As Phil and others have said, my go-to supplier is Decoy Rigs. I suspect that tarred line is used for a nostalgic reason or maybe it's better in salt water but as far as I'm concerned the best I found is the 1/4" Diamond Braid Nylon long line from Decoy Rigs. It's tight, stiff and rarely tangles. You can buy just the line or completed rigs from Bob at Decoy Rigs. 1/4" for long line and 1/8" or smaller for droppers. Bob has everything you might need and will send you a catalog as well as samples of a bunch of different lines he carries. For snaps I also go to Memphis Net & Twine as they are the least expensive I have found.

If you still want to go with tarred line - Scott at Doctari is a good guy and I would give him business in a second if I used what he sells.

Good luck but realize that you are already headed down the rabbit hole and it's too late to turn around.[cool]

All the pieces are available without paying a reseller to put a sticker on it and upcharge you accordingly. Memphis net and Twine and Amazon have tarred nylon for droppers. I like really think lines #96 or #128 is nice to work with, but quite thick for most people. You can use thick tarred nylon for a main line but, I don't prefer it. The main line material I use a longline sword fishing line (about 1/4 braided line), but I dont' have a current source, since I bought all I would ever need years ago. Snaps/clips really vary in quality, get a sample before you buy bulk.

Y'all might want to check out Alario Brothers in South Louisiana for tarred line and rigging supplies.

http://www.alariobros.com/twine.aspx

This will be my first year hunting with a gang line also,. after researching and picking some brains this is what i came up

From this vendor I purchased 400lb black mono & connectors for drops. and 6" clips to attached to main line - https://www.ebay.com/sch/flyducks00/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

This might be over kill, of which I've been accused of my entire life but this is what I will use for my main line, I'm hunting on the tidal waters. https://paracordgalaxy.com/rope-14-inch/2483-olive-decoy-diamond-braided-rope-1-4-usa-made.html#/4-length-100_feet

Hope this helps .................... Joe

Joe, not overkill by any means BUT check to make sure your 1/4" line sinks. According to the link it is made of polypropylene and nylon. Polypropylene floats and nylon sinks. Early in my long lining I made the mistake of using something similar that I found on sale and frankly it sucked as it would rise to the surface and stick out like a sore thumb. Can't say if it was the same think you linked to or not - hope not.

Pete - Thanks for the heads up. I had the same fear thinking the line wouldn't sink. I called the vendor and he assured me it will sink and said he would take it back if he was wrong.

So I ordered it and when I received it I promptly cut a 6 inch piece off, fill an old dish basin with water and put the 12 inch piece in it. After 24 hours it was still at the bottom so I am thinking it should be OK.

Needless to say, I have some thinking to do haha. I really appreciate it guys. Plenty of choices now.

What size is #120 twine? I'm seeing 0.170" That's fine even being less than 1/4" for a main line?

Tod - I think the line you're referring to is actually swordfish harpoon line. It's about 1/4' and fast sinking.

I highly recommend calling "Decoy Rigs" in Indiana. Seriously, that guy is crazy nice. I ordered a bunch of stuff from him a few years back. He was a joy to deal with, and he has all the good stuff. Sinking, braided core line, clips, everything. I've tried dying line in the past and finding the necessary clips and such. Decoy Rigs makes this way easier.

I think my mainline is 1/4" in size. But it's VERY STIFF and never tangles. From Decoy Rigs. It's great stuff.

I use 400 lb. mono for my droppers. I like the 4" long line clips. 3" is too small. 5" is too big for my liking.

When you crimp the short lines, cinch down and be sure there is not loop of slack. Don't allow any room anywhere where a tangle is possible.

Really got into divers myself not long ago. I’ve been using a place called doctari long lines to outfit my rigs. Quality stuff. Lots of good advice here, trial and error until you find what works for you. Me and my bud have gotten pretty good at it. Best of luck to you

I went with tarred #120 from a recommended vendor.

I'll be giving decoy rigs a call on the clips since I can't seem to source 5" ones anywhere local. Thank you for all the help guys.

Back