Dog ladder

Paul W

I have an 18' Lund with pretty tall sides, wondering what you dog people use for a ladder to get the pup in and out? It has a blind on it, I will make an access hole for the new pup to get in and out.

I have to get some pictures up here, he's really filling out nicely. 5 months old, and an athletic 54lbs already. Retrieving to hand like a champ! Can't wait to work on the water as soon as it's warm enough for the ice to go.

Any pictures of your ladder set ups (purchased is fine, but preferably DIY) would be great, looking to get the ball rolling soon so I can be ready to train out of the big lund, and out of the devlin bluebill come spring, which is approaching fast.

Paul,
I made an aluminum one that's permanently mounted on the stern of my Alaskan 1600. Will try to get you some pics. One important component was the single step swim ladder I had previously installed by the dealer, I just removed the swing step and used the two mounting brackets to secure the ladder.

Paul, think about where you want the dog to launch, then where you want the ladder. I thought the side mounts were a pain, waves banging it around and the boat sides getting all scarred up. Below (if you can find one) is great on my transom, (Starcraft Freedom 18') heavy and solid, folds up into the boat when moving. I have a couple of other styles that are popular but they all have issues for my app. Ask if you have any questions.

https://waterfowlgunner.blogspot.com/2012/08/duck-dogs-and-ladders.html

It's framed with angle aluminum. The two braces that support the ladder in the down position and secure it in the up position are made of flat aluminum stock. I cut and old road sign for the deck. Riveted a thin (~0.5") stall mat from TSC over the deck. There are 6 stainless bolts; 4 at the angle points and two securing it to the swim ladder brackets. I fastened wood blocks to the deck where it rests on the transom and the rail at the forward end of the splash well. I cushioned the underside of the blocks with foam tape. The ~5" thick wood block resting on the splash well rail has angle aluminum screwed to the bottom so that it grabs onto the bottom of lip the rail. This contact point is also padded with foam tape.

This ladder is very secure and strong enough to support a person (we've tested it while swimming). I usually fold it up before motoring, but occasionally forget. Though I built the ladder so that the outboard can't hit it, even with the ladder down and the motor cranked over. The only downside on this ladder is that it's a little narrow, though it is adequate for my Toller. You probably could make it a little wider on your larger Lund.

Last edited:
John Fraser said:
It's framed with angle aluminum. The two braces that support the ladder in the down position and secure it in the up position are made of flat aluminum stock. I cut and old road sign for the deck. Riveted a thin (~0.5") stall mat from TSC over the deck. There are 6 stainless bolts; 4 at the angle points and two securing it to the swim ladder brackets. I fastened wood blocks to the deck where it rests on the transom and the rail at the forward end of the splash well. I cushioned the underside of the blocks with foam tape. The ~5" thick wood block resting on the splash well rail has angle aluminum screwed to the bottom so that it grabs onto the bottom of lip the rail. This contact point is also padded with foam tape.

This ladder is very secure and strong enough to support a person (we've tested it while swimming). I usually fold it up before motoring, but occasionally forget. Though I built the ladder so that the outboard can't hit it, even with the ladder down and the motor cranked over. The only downside on this ladder is that it's a little narrow, though it is adequate for my Toller. You probably could make it a little wider on your larger Lund.

That looks fantastic, just the kind of idea I was looking for

I'm happy that I could share this. If you build one, feel free to contact me with any questions. There are a few small details that I forgot to mention.

Back