Dogs are funny

Phil Nowack

As I sit in the pre dawn light, and 34 degrees, listening to nature waking up and outboards taking hunters to their opening day spots, I find myself chuckling about how dogs are funny. Kodi methodically took his spot in the boat, and is busy sniffing my ear as I write this. His mass on his chest and under his arm slows him down, linits his mobility, but does not damper his desire to be here.

Last night, in the yard just before supper, I bent over and asked Kodi if he was going to get some "birds" tomorrow. He started jumping around and getting rambunctious like a pup.

This morning, when I got up at 0300, Kodi was up and ready to go!!! Normally, he wouldn't even stir at 0500 .. and at 0600 he will walk into the bathroom to say hello and then go back his sleeping spot. BUT NOT TODAY. He knew exactly what today was and what we were doing, while we crept out of the bedroom, as to not disturb Otter and Mom.

Crazy, funny, beasts.

We will see within a few hours... Or possibly minutes if Kodi does start off his 11th season .By getting birds... Either way, even though I HATE getting up early... Today will be a great day. Watching the sunrise on the River, with my best buddy.

No matter how old a dog gets they will always be ready for a hunt. That's where they live to be, next to their master out in the field. Have a great hunt!

Phil, I envy you this AM. Good luck on your opener, give that old dog a special ear rub. They do know when something special is up!!

No matter if the birds fly or not you've already had a great opener with your ole pal.

Special dogs create special memories that last forever. What ever is in the cards, enjoy the moment and the hunts.

Whenever the alarm clocks sound early, and we go downstairs and don our waders and camo, the retriever knows that this day is special for her, her master (my son) and me; a special day that she gets to share with only us.

The magic word that operates their "on switch" in our house is: Birds! If I say it softly, their eyes come open, while dozing in their beds in the dining room. When I drag it out and add some intonation emphasis, their heads pop-up on full alert. If I have the "magic clothes" on then they are on alert at the door, waiting to be called through, after I exit first.

Ironic this post as this morning my female lab caused me to chuckle. I get up at 6 every morning and fed both labs. They have internal clocks so I never need an alarm. Last night I slept on the couch in my man cave while watching the game. Kate sleeps on her couch and Ajax goes upstairs and will sleep with my wife. She shuts the bedroom doors that swing from the outside in. So about 5:45 Kate decides its time to eat and comes over to lick my face. I tell her to go back to her place. 5 mins I hear her get up and go upstairs. I hear her walk back to the bedroom and next I know I have both dogs in my face demanding to eat. Had to laugh as that's the first time she has gone up to help her brother escape.

Back