Don't put it off.

When they ask what flavor I want I tell them - "Bourbon" . Apparently there isn't enough demand because they never have it.

Not to preach, but take it from someone who has experience.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!

All and any of the tests mentioned above. A few hours of discomfort can ultimately save you from months of agony later, and perhaps even save your life.

Jon

Actually, the anesthesia used enables conversation to occur with the patient, that they never remember, Bob, so be careful if that note also is accompanied by a audiotape!

Scott Farris said:
Rectal and Colon Cancer is totally preventable.

Eric, thank you for posting this important message. I probably wouldn't have followed your advice if you had posted it a dozen years ago when I was 50. Let me try and reinforce the message. It doesn't matter how tough you are. How you never get sick, or the lack of family history. Cancer is way tougher than you are! Battling it is long, painful, expensive and will leave you changed, if you survive.

I was one of those guys, only missed 1 day in 8 years of work, hadn't seen a doctor in 15 years, in fact, he (my GP) had retired and I had never meet his replacement. At 56 (6 years ago) it became apparent I was in trouble and at the end of the holidays (not wanting to ruin them for the family) I asked Barb for help making appointments with the appropriate doctors. Got wooshed along in for a scoping where the doctor told me a sample was in the lab but is was classic rectal cancer borderline stage 3 or 4. It was then off to meet and be probed by Surgeons, Radiologists, and Oncologists. Started a month of radiation, and oral chemo. Couple of months later was the first of 3 major surgeries, over 2+ years. A bunch of minor procedures like getting fitted with a port - left side to not affect my shooting. Then 6 months of chemo infusion, they said I was too healthy not to make sure the cancer was fully killed off. That first year, even with a silver level health insurance policy, cost us $8K out of pocket.

And I keep remembering my doctor telling me after the scoping, that Rectal and Colon Cancer is totally preventable. If I had come in at 50 for the colonoscopy, all of this would literally have been snipped off in the bud - well polyp. Yes, for those of you who don't know these cancers start out as benign polyps which take years to develop into tumors.

Part two - If you have a family history get in there! My cousin was waiting for 50 as his insurance and doctor was recommending. He was diagnosed at 48 with full blown colon cancer and now with liver cancer. As an independent farmer, with a fist full of young kids this really sucks! My doctors wanted my daughters checked before they turn 35.

Scott, I thought you might join in. Glad you did. Lucky for us you at still around and sharing cool ways to deck a boat.

I've had two scopes. Bowel prep for the first was pretty rough. The second was much better. Look up miralax bowel prep and talk with your doc about doing.

I'm dreading my derm visit next week. It's the full body going over. I can't imagine it is going to be an enjoyable experience for anyone involved!

One of the things I recommend to people who do not have a medical background is to get a friend or family member who can help you navigate. Always ask questions. Ask about alternative treatment options. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion. The most important quality of your doctors is not how nice they are.

Tom

Eric, I couldn?t agree more !!! I am a two time survivor of colon cancer. It is something people should not ignore. The actual test is simple, you don?t feel a thing. As a matter of fact it?s a nice nap while the doctor checks you out. Yes the prep is no picnic but it?s one time in your life. Way too many people ignore the signs and then it?s too late. So gentlemen please take heed and go get your colonoscopy if it?s your time.

Well, I have been really good about the colonoscopy due to a family history but cancer being the dirty stinking sneeky thing it is I got caught by a couple other versions. What I can't emphasis enough is the early detection. After finding and dealing with the tumor in my spine a follow up check found the multiple myloma that I am dealing with now and fore ever. The great news is that I am feeling great and doing what I am told by the docs. My chemo is treating me great and I am able to plan a couple hunt trips including one with the traveler to ND. Cancer used to be something different but you still have to do your part.

Back