Double Barrels for Ducks

choke is actually a relationship between the bore diameter and the constriction at the muzzle, a bore gauge that will measure both is the only way to tell other than the pattern board
if calipers measure the muzzle at 700 thousands - and the bore is a true 12 at .729 - you have a full choke

if the muzzle on that gun measured .710 you would have modified

it is not rare for a gun to be backbored- so-

if the gun is backbored to -let say .740 -- that .710 would be full - i have been told guns were modified or even more open that are in fact extra full - the waterfowl doubles were often backbored and the chokes deceiving, My LC Smith longrange was measured as light mod at the muzzle by the seller but is in fact extra full with 42 thousands choke

so- unless you have a bore gauge - the pattern board is the way to tell what you have

He's been looking at a Franchi Instinct SL but I'm concerned the lightweight aluminum frame means heavy recoil with duck loads.

Eric P

I shoot an Instinct L and use it frequently for ducks and geese. It is a little heavier than the SL. I am generally happy with the gun and this past week also took some nice sharp-tailed grouse and ruffed grouse. It is versatile, light, quick, well balanced and works best with Briley Light-Mod extended chokes in it.

One thing I don't like about it... the barrel selector/safety can be accidentally nudged into a position where neither barrel is selected. Not a nice surprise when you pull the trigger and nothing happens.

Eric, on a whim this year I picked up a CZ Mallard. The Mallard is their least expensive O/U, but it has double triggers, and I couldn't pass it up. I was pleased with it right out of the box, and the more time I spend with it, the more I like it. The triggers felt a little rough at first but cleared right up within the first shots. It came with 5 chokes, a nice case, and 3" chambers.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_37_588_989/products_id/12343/CZ-USA+MALLARD+12g+28%22+MC+SLV

Not exactly what you are asking but I have a 15 year old 20 ga. White Lightning Citorie that has over 12,000 rounds through it and the only trouble I ever had was forgetting to lube the pivot pin sufficiently and galled it, old 870 shooter ignorance. Warranty fix and back to pounding them out. It fits like an old leather glove so I shoot it very well. Good gun over all.

Here is my Ithaca Flues 12ga sXs that I picked up a couple of years ago, and took it out for a hunt in the Great South Bay here on LI. Was rewarded with a limit of mallards and a Brant on a cold calm afternoon hunt. Was shooting an old box of Bismuth, and was happy with the results.

it was a slow start to the season here- very little water to open the season- the club I occasionally get to hunt as a guest postponed their opening one week -while the rains finally arrived, birds seem to be scare in many areas I hunt -

still seems to be local birds - so they have now heard shooting and are getting call and decoy shy. Got to hunt the marsh yesterday, although we saw lots of birds - few would work - missed a giveme shot at a drake (as i always seem to do - so guess I should stop calling them that)

this hen and a green wing drake my hunting partner shot were the only others to decoy

but - this gun is back in the hunt were it belongs after I got it with a badly cracked stock which I repaired

for those that like specs- its a Parker 3 frame 12ga with 32 inch tightly choked barrels

IMGP0038_zpsijjvw8ov.jpg

Very nice Rick, always thought I'd like a SxS with 32" tubes but currently only shoot 30". I assume you are shooting bismuth with those tight chokes?

Very nice Rick, always thought I'd like a SxS with 32" tubes but currently only shoot 30". I assume you are shooting bismuth with those tight chokes?

yes - i shot bismuth yesterday- but i also have nice shot and kent matrix on hand as well

I'm so glad I posed this question to you guys. Some sound advise and cool pictures too. Thomas should have his Beretta sold tomorrow and a 3 1/2" Citori on the way next week. We are both excited because I know this will be a gun he keeps forever. Thanks so much.

Eric

Did you get the cynergy or traditional citori ? If you purchased the citori a limbsaver replacement pad makes for much more comfortable shooting with those 3 1/2" candlesticks.

Did you get the cynergy or traditional citori ? If you purchased the citori a limbsaver replacement pad makes for much more comfortable shooting with those 3 1/2" candlesticks.

He is getting the basic 3 1/2" Citori. Not sure if he will shoot those rounds but that is a something to keep in mind.

Concerning Double Barrels & Ducks.

The Nov.2016 issue of Field & Stream, has a very good article about Nash Buckingham's Super Fox, Bo Whoop and it's return and use at Beaver Dam Lake.

Imagine taking a $201,250.00 "Shoot Gun" duck hunting again... Now that is a good time indeed, and no 3 inch shells were needed.

👍 my go to duck gun is an SXS Ithica/SKB 100 2 3/4 inch with 25 inch bbls. Had the full bbl opened to true mod as the mod bbl was measured IM. Single selective trigger. Wonderful duck gun with 1 1/8 oz of 3's or 4's at 1400 fps.

Brad, Is that the gun with the "Custom Beavertail Forend" from Ohio? ;-) ;-) ;-)

The Ithaca/SKB 100 was my duck gun for many years as well, until I found its straight English stocked cousin the 280SE in a local gunshop. It's been my duck & goose gun ever since.

View attachment 280.jpg

Yes sir, that is the SXS with the "Custom Beavertail Forend" from Ohio. :)

That custom piece of wood which was gifted to me has help to take many many ducks in several states out here to include these baby's!

This gun was a great deal from a gun show. The stock had been cut nearly 4 inches as you can see from my repair. With repair and the gift of the custom forend it became a wonderful shooter. I have a couple of other 100's as well as the other SXS mentioned.

As far as O/U go......I just gifted a 1970's production Citori to a Grandson that has begun his shooting/hunting career. 2 3/4 inch chambers, 28 inch IC and Mod fixed chokes....LNIB. He shoots his fathers 725? well so it was a no brainier for me to pass that Citori on. I had only shot the gun 3 times.

Nice pic Brad. You don't see pics of sawbills very often and certainly not a classic like that - "Sawbills on the Ice". That's some good shoot'in.

He is getting the basic 3 1/2" Citori. Not sure if he will shoot those rounds but that is a something to keep in mind.

I had a 3 1/2" Citori a few years back. Satin Hunter was the model. Wow, that thing kicked like a mule. After the first outing I couldn't bring myself to shoot those shells again. It was the last 3 1/2" I ever shot and I only own 2 3/4 and 3" guns now.

Back