Duckboat.net Family Feud game

Mark W

Took out the big duckboat yesterday to go check out the place I frequently hunt. Name me the top 5 things boat owners forget to do, forget to check, or forget to bring along on that first outing of the season? I successfully did all 5 in one outing. I'm so proud of myself.

Mark

No plug in when launching.
Forget the fuel tank.
Lights not working in the morning.
No bow line tied on when launching.
No anchor.

1. Trailer hitch not secure or safety chains not hooked to tow vehicle.
2. Trailer lights not plugged in.
3. Boat strap not removed prior to launching.
4. Boat plug left out.
5. Backed rig up too far and hung axle on ramp end.

Eric

I just went through this myself a few weeks back. Moving from boat to boat is always challenging. I try to outfit each completely, but sometimes $$ prevents that. So here are the few things that I move from boat to boat.

1. fire extinguisher
2. anchors
3. spotlight
4. throwable PFD

The only 2 that I forgot the first trip where the throwable, and the anchor. Though I did have an anchor pole, in deep water I was in trouble. So I stayed shallow anyway. The next trip out with the same boat, going into the same back water, I didn't bother with the deep anchor again.

I now have a "jump bag" that keeps all the registrations, signal light, and signal flag, a few tools, as well as my spotlight and first aid kit. Keeping it all in one small bag means I will have it all or none of it!

Interesting post....

When did a "throwable" become a requirement? Does a cushion satisfy the law?

And - of course - who would throw it in a 1-man vessel if the helmsman went overboard ??? (Yes, I can imagine coming to the aid of others - after my hunt was over....)

All the best,

SJS

All~

I just looked it up:

Every vessel including canoes, kayaks and row boats operated in NYS must have on board one USCG approved wearable life jacket for each person aboard. In addition, vessels 16 feet and greater in length except canoes and kayaks are required to have a USCG approved type IV throwable flotation aid.

(This is NYS reg. I presume it's based on nationwide USCG law/regs. And, I did carry a life ring with line on my old 22-foot gaff sloop back in the day.)

All the best,

SJS

Always a good "before the opener" refresher. That's why we call them "shakedown cruises".

- Is the boat battery charged for starting?
- Is the plug in before launching? On my mental check list before launching after 71 years.
- Are the trailer lights working? Which reminds me, I leave in a week for the Michigan U.P. opener, so I'll get on that today! I also bought a pair of magnet trailer lights as spares after many years of trailer light frustrations.
- Did you remember to bring the engine key?
- Did I put a paddle/push pole in the boat?
- Is the motor in a trailering position and raised before launching or taking out.

We all have gained "wisdom" over the years, haven't we?
And it's time for Larry Eckert to offer up his season prayer, unless I've missed it.

Be safe my fellow Duckboat friends.
Steve

Last edited:
Steve Sanford said:
All~

I just looked it up:

Every vessel including canoes, kayaks and row boats operated in NYS must have on board one USCG approved wearable life jacket for each person aboard. In addition, vessels 16 feet and greater in length except canoes and kayaks are required to have a USCG approved type IV throwable flotation aid.

(This is NYS reg. I presume it's based on nationwide USCG law/regs. And, I did carry a life ring with line on my old 22-foot gaff sloop back in the day.)

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

A few years ago I did a carving demo for youth day at a local sportsman's club. The club has a large pond and a row boat, so I set out some of my decoys. When we picked up the decoys a local NY DEC officer was watching. When we got to shore he inquired where our life vests were. My buddy said "we have floatation cushions". They don't count you must have vests, I'll let it pass this time. Lesson learned.

VP

Steve, CT law points to CFR Part 175, Subpart B. I assume most states probably do since it's federal regulation.

Big duck boat season hasn't hit me yet, but without fail item 1 is the boat plug. I always forget it at least once, usually in the door of the truck. I back the boat in, go to unhitch the winch, and watch the bilge shoot out full force. I told my daughter the first time it was "just to get all the blood out of the boat." She gave me a suspect look

Good morning, Nick et al~

After learning the time-honored Hard Way, I secure my drain plugs to the vessel with decoy line - usually from the motor board. In fact, I will be doing so as soon as I get out into the shop this morning - on the vessel I'm bringing to Tuckerton tomorrow.

Sneakbox transom plug.jpg

As important, I also carry a spare drain plug in my tool kit (which is stowed in the forward hold along with most of the other "required equipment).

Typically, I pull the plug after a hunt whilst the trailer is still on the ramp. After it drains, I put the plug right back in - ready for the next excursion. I also keep the plug in during long-term storage - to keep mice et cetera out.

All the best,

SJS

Do you keep the boat elevated when it is on trailer to help drainage from rain water?

I am not a fan of drain plugs since I had to replace the bottom of my melonseed. The drain plug on this boat was on the bottom near the centerboard case. Prior owner left drain plug out but leaves blocked the drain resulting in keeping water in the boat and seeping into the plywood causing rot between the fiberglass layers.

Rick

Quite the list we've put together. I've done all of them more than once. Here were my mistakes.

1. Little to no gas. I remember coming in after the last hunt last season and saying I have to get some gas but will wait till next season as the boat isn't use in the summer. Got to the landing and went to move the tank and it was really light. Must have had a whole 1/2 gallon in it. Off to the gas station. Then I needed 2 stroke oil which I had just bought a whole bottle at home.
2. No bowline, It is on the kayaks I'm taking this weekend for the opener in MN. Luckily I had some straps in the pick up that worked OK.
3. Pumped the gas line and had gas squirt out at the bulb connection. Thought I would be OK and drove around a little before ehading out to make sure it wasn't leaking while underway. Purchaed new line as the one I have is old and has been repaired twice already.
4. No lifejackets. They were in this boat but the day before I moved them to the kayaks.
5. Forgot my hat. Just a bummer.

Others

- I did chck for the plug before launching.
- I did remove the strap before launching and found it out it broke itself over the off season. New one purchased
- After coming back to the landing I checked the boat registration. Good for another year.
- Boat was filthy. Usually clean it at the end of the season but it got cold early and never warmed up. Cleaned it when I got home.
- Did check trailer lights before heading out
- did check tire pressure before heading out.
- went to grease the bearings but soon realized the grease gun is at the cabin.

This particular spot gets harder and harder every year. This year is no exception. So much silt and sand is upstream and every year it fills in a little more. It is a dammed stream and it they lower the water level 2"'s probably can get back there. I was smart enough to take a picture of the water level at the ramp so if if gets lower, I'll know before motoring all the way out there.

Mark

Richard~

During the season, a canvas cockpit cover keeps the rain - and especially snow - out.

Off season, I have a hard cockpit cover.

All the best,

SJS

Back