Duckboat Show

Capt Rich Geminski

Stopped at the duckboat show under cloudy skies [ducky]. Saw alot of nice boats and decoys. Lots of decoys, anchors and marine stuff too.
A lot of familiar faces and some new ones too. Good to see the new generations coming up. Steve Sanford had his restored ice scooter. Nice work and some really neat accessories. Ice tool was cool, you could push, pull etc.
If you have never been, put it on next years calender...

I think the amount of duckboats this year was a little light. I'm going to try real hard to get mine ready and bring it next year.

Good morning, Rich~

It was good seeing you yesterday. I had a fine time talking boats and decoys all day with scores of many old and new friends.

I did take a few minutes to take some photos. I was not organized enough to get the names of the owners for every boat.

Wayne Rogers built this Zack Taylor Wigeon over the past year:

Duckboats%20-%20Wayne%20Rogers%20ZT%20Wigeon_zpsb1kmknkv.jpg

A one-man sharpie.
Duckboat%205_zpsgpnmprjy.jpg

Transport:

Duckboat%203_zpstifdj2du.jpg

More transport - how to get there - or ready for your own blind:

Duckboat%202_zpsexmtjd9v.jpg

A nice "floating blind":

Floater%20A_zpsxp4x6ip2.jpg

Duckboats%207_zpssoehv40a.jpg

I hauled my GSB Ice Scooter down - just to show (not compete). I was happy to see it is featured in the November-December Relaunchings in WoodenBoat magazine.

Scooter_zpsncpexuvp.jpg

Lots of decoys for sale, especially gunners.

Decoys%203_zpssbaqoann.jpg

Decoys%202_zpslfvbudu5.jpg

Broadbill%20stool_zpsuprkyaay.jpg

Decoys%201_zpsdsfb9ngg.jpg

This little 'glass grassboat is owned by Ben Sohm. It was manufactured in Connecticut.

Grassboat%203_zpsje7ca55m.jpg

Here's the very creative way that Ben uses to adjust the height/angle of the flapboards - by using dowels of different lengths.

Flapboard%20chocks_zpsopoue8au.jpg

A little shelter cabin:
Grassboat%202_zpsf9pii6rj.jpg

Grassboat%202b_zpsuene2pbk.jpg

A 3-judge team visits every vessel.

Judging_zpsghjfl7he.jpg

I suffered a severe case of Patens Envy - seeing all this nice long Spartina patens (Salt Hay). I had cut a bunch the day before - and pretty much had to use S. alterniflora (Cordgrass) instead.

Duckboat%208_zpssdrejetu.jpg

Dog_zpsj8o82szt.jpg

Here is one of a few South Bays at the Show. I really enjoyed - after I wiped away my tears of envy - speaking with the 2 guys who found one "upstate" for $100......

South%20Bay%202_zpsiktimgdp.jpg

I think this one belongs to Ron Sineo - SSWA President.

South%20Bay%201_zpsmarp6ztg.jpg

This is a plywood grassboat.
Grassboat%201_zpsll7ucfgr.jpg

A real treat was seeing Rick Born's 'glass gunning coffin. He took the idea right where I was thinking of going just before I left LI more than 2 decades ago. My original coffin was not designed to trim well with a gunner when afloat; they are heavy up forward if not supported by bog or mud. I had been thinking/designing one was about 8-feet long AND with the backrest, etc moved aft so it would trim level when afloat. The larger concept would be to tow or carry one or two across the bay in a bigger boat - then drag them into the marsh to hunt, regardless of water levels.

Rick did all the right things - and with excellent design and craftsmanship throughout. All molded with 'glass, the bottom is a bit rounded - so it will drag with less friction that a flat-bottomed box (like mine). His is also wider so that shooting would not lead to capsize. As you can see, the hide is superb. It weighs 33 pounds (before thatching) and he can propel it with a kayak paddle.

Coffin%20-%20Rick%20Born_zpsvddfhtbw.jpg

Coffin%202_zpsdassf1yt.jpg

Coffin_zpsgh0itjjz.jpg

I do not know how Rick spent his earlier years - but this shot reminds me of the hippie-with-headband look from the last century......

Coffin%20-%20hippie%20hairband_zpsxzmgpjmm.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Nice pics Steve. I would like to see that event sometime. Oh the wheels are turning in my head. I wonder Steve how many of the attendees do you think are regular members or visitors to this site?

Steve-

I really appreciate you taking the time to take and post these photos. That Zack Taylor Widgeon is really nice looking. I especially like the looks of that little pond box at the end.

Chad A

Bob~

Definitely a bunch of site members in attendance - many mentioned the South Bay Spa thread.

No pics of the little box. Maybe after the season? Or maybe Rick has some now.....

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

Great photos as always, sorry I missed you guys looks like a nice show spent the day out guiding sea-ducks with that wet weather Sunday. Ice Scooter looking good! Just launched the Southbay this afternoon.

See you soon.

Stopped by quick in the morning with my sneakbox in the back of my truck to meet its new owner. Bought some decoy heads and a faulks pintail whistle. This is my favorite show because the amount of good priced gunning decoys that are available, as well as seeing familiar faces. Rick Borns glass meadow box is awesome, would need to add a few inches I don't fit in it at 6'4".

Rich:
Thanks for sharing the pics. Love Those South Bays, shot many a duck out of mine.

Enjoy the Season, Dave

Stopped by quick in the morning with my sneakbox in the back of my truck to meet its new owner. Bought some decoy heads and a faulks pintail whistle. This is my favorite show because the amount of good priced gunning decoys that are available, as well as seeing familiar faces. Rick Borns glass meadow box is awesome, would need to add a few inches I don't fit in it at 6'4".
Thanks, Tim! That is exactly what I was wondering about. Just looked a bit short...

Last edited:
steve thanks for the kind words about the mud bug. pictures are great. the bug at the show is for 6 ft. under. I being 6 ft and friend who builds them with me is under 6. we built two the same size but made another to fit taller size that will have grassing rails and a removable fiberglass dodger. the cockpit on the xl is about 4 in. longer still only33 lbs. it wasn't ready for show

Rick~

I left before the prizes were awarded - did you walk away with all the trophies and prize money (!) ?

All the best,

SJS

steve, we took first but not best of show lost to two man grass boat. many people like the design and how well it would work ( hide) in the marsh. the other side of the coin is the grass cover snaps off white painters canvas goes on and your in that ice hole . chris and I played with roll plastic last winter for good outcomes in the ice. the bug will do real good at that job too. thanks again rick. ps the last picture does remind me of a old hair cut back in the late 60s before hair became endangered ha ha

I really like that little mud bug! Mostly I'm just envious of how long the salt hay is on it!

Capt. Rich, Yes we did in the Peconic Bay area. Did well had a few old squaw & clients each managed some scoter to bring to taxidermist they were very satisfied.

Back