Finding Decoys on the Water

Many years ago, a buddy and I had pooled our brant rig for a trip. We both had made flying models, mine with upward angled wings, his with wings straight out.
We finished, made a stop along route I and continued until we reached Prime Hook, where we got out for a bathroom break. Lo and Behold, his brant was nowhere to be found! We retraced our path, and could only surmise that the wing position, and wind must have caused that decoy to rise out of the boat and soar onto the road.
I can only imagine the panicked look on some driver's face as he saw that brant leaving the back of a boat!
We never did find the decoy, much less the wreckage of same. It still causes me to snicker, even after 25 or so years.

I was probably 14 and walked out on the marsh behind my house. I was jump shooting but walked the length of the marsh to the edge of the bay. To my horror I saw a man floating face down. It was the last thing I wanted to do but I waded out and when I got closer, I realized it wasn't a person (thank God) but a duffle bag. I got it back to shore and found inside 10 hard plastic Herters BBills....It was better than Christmas morning and actually my first decoys! Still have 'em....you can't kill those hard ones.

This counts as a find , to me, since I thought they may have been lost.
I was "guiding" a buddy in his new Bankes 17. We were in a bay off the St Mary's river system in the U.P. of Michigan. It was one of those hunts where we stashed the boat and waded in to a spot to set up carrying a bag of puddle duck decoys and chairs. Upon finishing at the evening shooting time the wind was blowing pretty good. and when we got to the boat the light was fading. I put the bag in some bulrush near the stern of the boat, and told my partner to climb in while I retrieved anchors and a a few goose floaters I had out. Upon returning to the boat stern to pull out to open water, I had forgotten about the bag with over a dozen dekes.
I remembered the next morning while organizing gear for that mornings hunt. Damn, no bag. This river system has drastic water level surges due to freighter traffic and winds. Because I only set the bag 3 feet inside the open water, I knew they may have floated away during the night. When we arrived in the dark to he spot where I was anchored, no bag was found. I took a walk downwind with my light and joyously found the bag almost 200 feet away, 3 feet inside the bulrush. They easily could have gone into the open water and been someone else's find in this forum!
Louie.

Several years ago I was contacted by a hunter that was interested in a pair of cork buffs for his rig. The next time he was in the area he said he would stop by and see what my decoys looked like. Fast forward 2-3 weeks, I was hunting on the beach in Erie and lost a hen bluebill dragging the sled back to my truck. 2 days later I get a phone call from a hunter who found my decoy. Unbelievably it was the same guy who was looking for a pair of buffs. He told me to go ahead and make him the buffs, figuring if the buffs looked as good as the bluebill he'd found he would be happy with them...

Here's a nice plastiduk black duck I found on my way in last week. Only had about ~2ft of mono anchor line so once the tide came up it was a goner. Left it at the ramp in case the rightful owner stumbled upon it.

346B3DAB-6E8C-4BD1-9FAB-F08D3BBC5A35.jpg

When we were able to still have blinds and permanent spread we would find LOTS of decoys every year. Everyone would mark their decoys, so we always tried to return them to their owners. My Dad was friends with the lock master and he would fish out dozens of decoys every year for us. I still hunt over a couple of the neater finds. We would also go run the islands in the spring when the water was up. We would find quite a few that way. A lot of guys woulod never even know they lost them. I guess when you have 3-6 hundred out you don't miss a couple.

Lance

ive only found one decoy from someone else it was plastic and faded, but i do have a good lost and found story. I have permission to hunt at a friends uncles house which is on lake superior. I can just walk down behind his garage to the shore which is several feet of beach with low water and rip rap. normally one the weekend after hunting Saturday i will just pull my long lines up in the yard to make for a quick set up Sunday morning. when my dad came up to visit and hunt i took him there, we did ok Saturday morning but i had to go study in the evening so i left him to hunt alone and only told him he could leave the decoys on shore for the next day. To him that meant leaving them on the beach. overnight we had 25 mph winds and freezing temps blowing the decoys into the rip rap and freezing them there. the plastic decoys where cracked in the ice but i went back in spring and got my 3 hand made foam goldeneye. some new acrly pro and paint and good as new.

Can we get off this topic please? Saturday I lost my first decoy of this century, an Italian plastic hen eider. I think it was on her first swim of this century too. Anyway, now I flinch every time someone posts to this thread, expecting I've made someone's day. D-oh!

Scott

If you place the emphasis on WERE on the water, this story complies. My hunting partner at the time and I tracked-down an entire rig of Toledo decoys that went missing from Munuscong Bay waters. Their owner was a guy who moved into the area from Ohio post-purchase of a cabin rental/fishing access resort on the southern margin of the bay. He decided to start guiding his second year in Michigan. The guide law definition read that you needed a commercial guide's license to take hunters/fishers out in your boat, so he was operating illegally. I got to know him relatively well since I used his ice-taxi service to fish the southern bay for walleye during winter. There is an U.S. Army Corps of Engineers quarters barge built in the early 1900s moored on the north shore of the bay, that serves as a duck club for a group of Sault Ste. Marie businessmen. A turf war developed over a piece of water know as "the slot". When he began leaving his decoys set-up overnight here (also illegal under Michigan waterfowling laws), they were eventually stolen. Turned-out the Merganser "crew" hired a local waterman who routinely operated outside the law, encouraging him to remove the decoys...for a case of whiskey.

My duck hunting partner was a lawyer and local, with "connections" on both sides of the law.

During those years, it was not uncommon to hear an inboard motor rev-up and run screaming across the open waters of the river at night go land on the U.S. side, when we were out sampling on the upper 42miles of water. I opt to word the experience as "hear", since the boats ran without lights. Lots of booze and cigarettes trafficked into the U.S. via this route in that era. Over four years I never witnessed or heard of any enforcement patrols other than around the locks and harbor area to the north. When I saw what remained of the case of whiskey, the contents were lacking seals.

Four years ago, Steve Lewis and I were hunting the St.Mary's out of a nice log cabin he rented that sat on a point on Neebish Island below the Rock Cut. We were done for the day, so after cleaning birds and rearranging our gear and boat contents, we were doing some housekeeping on Sam's camp. When I looked out through the thin screen of cedars that separate the cabin and outbuildings (sauna and fish frying shack, outhouse, and wood working shop) from the river, a nice shiny new(er) U.S. Boarder Patrol boat came sliding down the navigation channel, armed to the teeth and coasting along, sporting four 250hp Verados on its transom! Post September 11th attacks, things have apparently changed.

Thought you all might enjoy these "lost and found" decoy stories. Buddy had a 100 decoy spread out on a shallow sand bar (bay of green bay) with 3 mojo's stuck in the sand. one mojo tipped over and the mad dash was on to right it. However, The power of the battery was not subdued by the water, the mojo wings continued to beat and "flew" away under the water. mojo was never recovered.

2nd "lost and found decoy, I had put out 12 herter millennium suck ducks shore hunting facing north on the bay of green bay. wind picked up, flipping some of the sucs, we decided to leave in a hurry. week later I noticed one was missing. in the mean time we had a 40 to 50mph wind out of the north blowing right in the grill of the lot I was hunting. waves Laid a 4 foot high 10 foot wide pile of zebra mussels on shore. Somewhere in the pile was the suc duck. I did find the line with anchor attached. the next summer while walking along the "zebra pile" bout 100yds south spotted a piece of plastic which was the tail of the suc duck, in one piece, a bit scuffed up. "stranger things" !

Thought you all might enjoy these "lost and found" decoy stories. Buddy had a 100 decoy spread out on a shallow sand bar (bay of green bay) with 3 mojo's stuck in the sand. one mojo tipped over and the mad dash was on to right it. However, The power of the battery was not subdued by the water, the mojo wings continued to beat and "flew" away under the water. mojo was never recovered.

Best Mojo story ever!

BE FREE, BE FREE!!!!

This thread brought up an old idea I've had for a while-I have thought it would be fun to take a few decoys that I've made and stash them in the farthest, hardest-to-reach corners of our local marshes that I know of, with a tag on them that says, "If you found this decoy, congratulations for exploring, it's yours!" I might do that someday....

Cody, your rework of "Paddle to the Sea" !

Up here, they do this with Busch or Bud Lite cans- favorite libations of the drinking "sportsman" in the U.P.!

Back