First Pintail Head Carving Question

Kristan

All, Beautiful decoys on the December Monthly Forum, hope I can carve and paint as well as the rest of you!

Question to ask:

Decided to try carving a head tonight of a Pintail Drake...Was wondering if you guys think this head is similar enough to full a sprig...Also on the paint scheme....Am I getting close...Does the bill need to be slightly different?

View attachment Pintail head 2012_1.jpg

Regards,
Kristan

Hi Kristan,
Making nice progress.
If you want to use it, there is a tutorial on my website on painting a Pintail Drake.
Go to: www.lockstockbarrell.com and then you'll find the area on "Decoy Painting-Instructions & Step by Step-How To Paint" and then click on the Pintail Drake pdf file. You can view the file upon clicking or you can right click, save it onto your computer and use it whenever you need the reference.
Holler with any questions and keep on moving forward with your carving and painting.
Lou

I think it looks great! The only thing I would change is to bring the eye channel higher in the rear of the head.

Good enough to fool em, close enough to Shoot? U - Betcha!

Lots of very crude Pintail decoys - even without eyes, made from wood , cork, canvas, not to mention flatties, have fooled plenty of Sprig to their demise.
'Taint the Decoys, it's where ya set em out.............

Good job & Good luck!

Back