Flexshaft/Foredom

Phil Nowack

Anyone know how good or bad the cheap brands are? Harbor Freight/Grizzly/etc vs Foredom... not wanting to spend $300+ for something that I am not sure I will get into.. (carving)

You might try a weecher--Basically, the main replacement things are shafts, and sometimes, just wearing a leather apron may keep that from happening.

Phil, I have had one for over 25 years. They are built well and will last many life times. I use mine for gun repairs, gun cleanings and a little carving. Have only broken one shaft, was a nice shirt too...
I would look on ebay, amazon and craigslist. I have found a few handpieces on these. A great tool with many uses.

Hi Phil, for what it's worth I,ve had a wecheer for bout 6 yrs, now got it from the duck blind , never had a problem with it as long as I don,t get it caught in my clothing!
All the Best, John

If you have to buy, wecheer is a solid performer. But I have to ask. Have you tried to find any carvers in your area and see if they'd be willing to loan you a tool and show you the ropes? There are plenty of carvers up around Pool 9, as I remember. Kick the tires before you write the check, especially if you have concerns about whether you'd enjoy it after trying it out,

Buy a Foredom. You won't be sorry.

You know the guy that invented power carving tools. Call him, I'm sure he will give you a deal.

Last edited:
I got my foredom used off of craigslist, worth the $100. I have seen them since.

I have a dremel with apt he flex shaft attachment that works well too, just a little mor limited in carving bits available.

Thanks for the input. I ultimately went with the Harbor Freight $48.99 version. I didn't see a Foredom on Craigslist or ebay...

I like it, but I only have a hand held Dremel to compare it to. The only issue I have is that is said it had a 5/32" chuck... which I take to mean that it will handle 1/4" shanks... well... it does not....
I have one body roughed in..

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
The only issue I have is that is said it had a 5/32" chuck... which I take to mean that it will handle 1/4" shanks... well... it does not....

Phil,

1/4" would equal 8/32",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at least where I work. Did you some of that new math? ;>)
[/font]

Phil:
The Foredom handpieces will fit on the HF flex shaft unit. I suggest you purchase one with a couple collets (1/8" & 1/4"). I used a HF unit for a number of years before I upgraded to the Foredom.

I used a HF hanging motor for a lot of years before I got my Foredom Tx. Still works well and has a pretty respectable amount of power. Get yourself an actual foredoom 44T handpiece to spin those 1/4" bits.

I've got just about everything mentioned here except for a foredom... and depending on where you live in the country these mythical "$100-150 deals on Craigslist" may or may not exist. I have run across a few on Ebay but they usually ended up selling in the $250-ish range. The WeCheer is a fine product and I would dare say many of the folks who bad mouth them have never owned one. I have one that's 12 yrs old now (albeit, not heavily used in the past 2yrs) and another I picked up for a steal that probably has about 1hr of use on it. I've used a dremel with flex shaft which will get the job done but not nearly as efficient... and the harbor freight tool terry d mentioned will get it done as well. Dont' wear loose clothes or make sure to wear a canvas or leather apron... and good luck!

Phil:
If it hasn't been mentioned, make sure you get a good leather apron. You can buy one at Harbor Freight in their welding section. When (not if) it gets caught in your sweatshirt, the rotary tool will rip your shirt off and give you a instant appendectomy just that fast! Also, get a couple extra drive shafts. You'll need them.

Phil,
My HF one has lasted about 10 years now, with no real issues. I have had to replace a couple shafts ( order more now) and the brushes for the motor once. (Order them now). The handpiece it comes with is okay, but if you can find a foredom one it's sure nice to have.

Here's an S Series right here, not sure which model the handpiece is though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foredom-S-Series-Rotary-Grinding-Tool-w-Flex-Shaft-FCT-1-Foot-Speed-Control-/381547448347?hash=item58d600081b:g:RYUAAOSwUuFWu8Ol

Phil
I would suggest forgetting any rotating tool and go with a knive. With your coordination I'm afraid you'll hurt your self with anything electric.:):)
wis boz

Back