Float coats....

Nate Grace

Folks,

I'm looking at getting a couple of float coats for mid- and late season sea ducking next year. The Mustang brand seems to be the most popular, but I can't seem to find a bomber style coat in camo. Are there any other brands out there that you've seen or tried that you like? Safety is the main concern, so $$ is not really a factor here. Just looking for some options.

Many thanks.

Nate

I've got the Mustang bomber in olive green. The sea ducks don't care, especially when you're hidden behind a boat blind.

Stearns and Onyx do make camo float coats. However I like the fit of the Mustang jacket over the longer Stearns coat. I've never worn the Onyx, ours is a smaller size for the kids.

Last edited:
I had the Onyx Float coat...bought it a few years ago when someone posted the good sale. I like it. It was a little stiff to sit in the BBSB but was always a little too big for me. After I lost all the weight, it was way too big and I sold it on here a couple seasons ago. I would not hesitate to buy another Onyx, especially for the money.

I had the Onyx Float coat...bought it a few years ago when someone posted the good sale. I like it. It was a little stiff to sit in the BBSB but was always a little too big for me. After I lost all the weight, it was way too big and I sold it on here a couple seasons ago. I would not hesitate to buy another Onyx, especially for the money.

Too funny! I posted the Onyx sale and ended up buying the inflatable that was offered. Two years ago I bought your float coat. I love it. When the winds of November come early you can bet I'm wearing it.

Folks,

I'm looking at getting a couple of float coats for mid- and late season sea ducking next year. The Mustang brand seems to be the most popular, but I can't seem to find a bomber style coat in camo. Are there any other brands out there that you've seen or tried that you like? Safety is the main concern, so $$ is not really a factor here. Just looking for some options.

Many thanks.

Nate

I have a float suit that is an old style. It is pretty stiff and I don't know if you would want to shoot out of it but you could put it on when you are not shooting.

Probably not what you want, but it could be yours for the price of shipping. I was given two by a friend for free. I wear one now in the boat when running.

Size large I believe...of green...

I have a lime green Mustang full length and my wife wears a orange Mustang. Both covered with reflective tape. We take them off during the hunt and stow them under the blind. If I am in the water relying upon the coat, I want to be seen and not in camo.

Do Float Coats count as a PFD for legal purposes? I have always assumed so, but don't really know.

Yes they are coast guard approved. However the inflatables that go around the waist are not coast guard approved as a flotation devise.

In my career as a firefighter ive never seen any emergency services department use anything other than Mustang. They are top of the line and when your life hangs in the balance can you really afford anything else?

In my career as a firefighter ive never seen any emergency services department use anything other than Mustang. They are top of the line and when your life hangs in the balance can you really afford anything else?

Yes, and they are well made and comfortable.

I've got a Mustang bomber style coat I wear in the summer here, and shoot with in the fall, and a full floater suit with the neoprene gasket cuffs for spring/fall boating. The onesy floater is my snowmobile suit too if there's a chance of going through the ice. After several years of hard use like that, the floater suit has held up well.

Mike

Nate - I just got an Onyx that Ed references in his post. I like it and it seems very well built. The price Walmart is offering is just about half of the retail. Pat

Back