Floatation chambers Air or foam

Everyone is thinking this.... but not saying it... BAD IDEA.

Might as well save weight and not take PFDs as well. If you have any sealing failure, or don't screw the hatch. Or the more probable...Start using those compartments for storage.

$60 and 20 pounds... and it is there.

I can't see how he can use the compartments given the below part (b). I also see that he is not listening to anyone, so more power to him.

Basic Flotation Material Requirements

FEDERAL LAW: 183.112 Flotation material and air chambers.

(a) Flotation materials must meet the requirements in Sec. 183.114 as listed in Table 183.114 when used in the: (1) Engine room bilge, (2) engine room, or (3) bilge, unless located in a sealed compartment.

(b) Air chambers used to meet the flotation requirements of this subpart must not be integral with the hull.

Ohh I'm listening I'm just choosing to build it to better fit my needs and how and where I hunt in louisiana.

Air filled bags placed in the chambers is how I will be useing it that way if the hull does have a hole punched in it the bags will still hold the air and I will not lost floatation.

Tod, One shouldn't assume someone is not listening to others when they speak their mind and give their advice and one should not assume that someone is not assessing all his options and how to best build his boat to fit his hunting needs and hunting area and style.

Cause you know what happens when someone assume's something right.

I already spoke to the inspection division of ldwf and they gave me the direct info I needed to make this legel that's why I'm useing the air bags in the chambers.

But if I so wished since it's a home built boat I could have it titled and registered as a commercial hull and use the chambers with no air bags and just use the screw lock deck plates to hold the air in the chamber.

But I choose to go the air bag route.

I do thank all you have replyed to this posting and gave their advice

Air flotation might work just fine for a time. Many years down the road, things might change as the boat gets older. When you need the flotation most, it might not be there. I know the issues with pour foam and moisture, but it might save your life, or the next owners someday. I used to work with a guy at Jim Smith Boats who raced Laser sailboats. The boats had big PiHy plates on the top deck. My friend had them open one day and the inside was full of one gallon milk jugs with the caps screwed on tight. This might be the best of both worlds. Your accessable flotation chambers might even be a good spot to store your bottled drinking water empties. Rich

Last edited:
Greetings all,
My sneakbox had the old faithful and classic bleach bottles tied together and stuffed up front for floatation. I'm going to replace them with some airbags that came from a whitewater kayak. They are light, easy to install / remove and come in many sizes to fit in tight places.
Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I can't think of the the name of the company off the top of my head who I will be getting mine from but they make custom air bags. I have it wrote down in my note pad and it's at home on my loading bench.

When I have the boat ready I will pull the mesurments and send them in and have the bags built.

Another option used by the original builders of the Scott Duck Boats was to put rolled/folded sheets of bubble wrap in the air chamber spaces

Back