Florida Hunt...

Pat Gregory

Recently traveled to Florida with a couple members of the Delta Waterfowl Staff to do some hunting in Florida with our good friend John Hitchcock. Frank Rohwer, Delta's President and Paul Wait, Editor of Delta Magazine and I joined Hitch to chase some bluewing teal and other species. The purpose of this hunt is to do a story for Delta Magazine and highlight some decoy carvers work several of whom frequent this forum. We had a great time with Hitch and his friend Wes Arnold and, were in some amazing habitat. We hunted both open water bays and marsh habitat. I loved hunting from the skiffs. We appreciate their hospitality and friendship...

Pictures below include Frank in the boat blind, Rex the wonderdog and Hitch cooking us an amazing breakfast!

View attachment 0113151002.jpg
View attachment 0113150849a.jpg
View attachment 0113150743.jpg
View attachment 0113150857.jpg
View attachment 0113151003.jpg

And, the Florida habitat is amazing!

View attachment 0115151137.jpg
View attachment 0115151224.jpg

The we took 8 blue wing teal decoys each donated to Delta Waterfowl to be hunted then, sent to the top banquets in the country with all the proceeds going to Delta Waterfowl and the good work they do. Carvers represented from this forum are Scott Green, Jim Williams, Dave Ludington, Mike Trudel, Tim McEntire and Pat Gregory... There will also be an upcoming article about this hunt and the decoys in Delta Waterfowl Magazine highlighting each carver. Be looking for it...

View attachment 456326566.jpg

Again, we appreciate the great hospitality of John Hitchcock and Wes Arnold. And, were blessed by them and, count them as friends...

Last edited:
Pat - I will look for the article. Have to say I would be a little edgy wading or paddling something small in that habitat .......REPTILES ???
Maybe they are not active in cooler weather ?
sarge

I was out a couple of weeks ago, and had this swim right up to my decoy and bump it with his snout. Then he sat there for at least a couple of minutes, and eventually swam off. Made me fell a little better knowing I had my shotgun, but that is a little to close

Dick, you hunt the saltwater there don't you? The Ocean? and as I recall you fish as well in the Ocean? If the answers to those statements are "yes" then you are in greater danger of being bitten by a shark there than you are of having a Gator encounter in Florida during the duck season That little 5 footer in Jeffs picture isn't looking to do anything but run away if he knows you're there
If you have the stones to brave traffic on the Interstate, where you at far greater risk of injury, then wading in Florida during duck season should be a walk in the park for you....

Steve

Good morning, Pat~

Looks like a fine time! Congratulations to you all!

It is 8 degrees here now - and I wouldn't know where to find a T-shirt. On the other hand, I believe our gators are hibernating right now....

All the best,

SJS

Dick, you hunt the saltwater there don't you? The Ocean? and as I recall you fish as well in the Ocean? If the answers to those statements are "yes" then you are in greater danger of being bitten by a shark there than you are of having a Gator encounter in Florida during the duck season That little 5 footer in Jeffs picture isn't looking to do anything but run away if he knows you're there
If you have the stones to brave traffic on the Interstate, where you at far greater risk of injury, then wading in Florida during duck season should be a walk in the park for you....

Steve

Steve, for me it wouldn't be the gators, but the snakes I'd worry about. Probably just as much to fear on a trout stream or upland hunt in Pennsylvania or eastern Washington, but somehow that Florida swamp country just feels snakey.

Pat, jeither you all just shot hens, OR the drakes are not FULLY into their purty coloration. Nice mixed bag.

Yep, John does indeed cook a good breakfast. :>) Glad you guys enjoyed the hunt. Some fine decoys in that bag.

Last edited:
It does look good especially when I look out the window at fresh coat of snow and am thrilled that it is only 30 degrees. The biggest worry I would have is the dogs, seriously how do you keep them safe? I agree about the snakes having lived in Ga. for 3 years and having a couple close calls with snakes riding dirt bikes in the swamps. BTW the airboats look like they are enough of a thrill all by themselves.

And I thought we had enough to worry about with wind and tides here on the NJ coast then you have to throw gators into the mix!

Tom I'll do the short answer on Keeping the Dogs Safe for the longer version there are threads that can be searched

Gators stop eating when the water temperature drops below 70 That's a pure and simple biological fact they don't eat cause they're don't need to Gator ranches would love it if this weren't true cause it would save them money not having to climate control their growing houses For sure you'll hear about them eating a duck once in awhile but that's not that common, the prey is small and usually so is the gator it happens more often the further South you go and when the weather is warm for a long time causing those big shallow hydrilla flats, and the gators on them, to warm up It's not a regular thing

I started hunting when I was 12 that was 50 years ago I hunted with a man that hunted with a dog those first years My brother got a dog when I was 15 and I got my first one when I was 18 Everyone of my friends that I hunted regularly with had dogs I figure that conservatively including myself and all my friends that I have hunted with that we have some 5K man days hunting Florida in Gator habitat and during that period of time not only have I never had a gator incident none of my friends have and none of personally knows anyone that has HAve any of us seen Gators close to the decoys SURE but that doesn't mean that the gator was looking to eat the dog You'll hear people say "I HEARD about this, or that dog getting eaten" but I've yet to ever talk to a person that has PERSONALLY seen a dog taken with his own eyes It's always fourth or fifth hand when you hear it I've even asked outright on Florida hunting website for FIRST HAND ACCOUNTs and the silence when asking that is deafening

The further South you go the more likely it would be to happen but you might recall just recently the story about the Chessie that spent five nights lost in the Lake Okeechobee marshes, marshes that are full of Gators, when it wasn't cold, without getting eaten to me that wasn't a surprise Wasn't the guts and determination of the dog that saved him from the gators it was BIOLOGY

Has it happened? I'm sure it has but like I said with the Shark thing there are far more dangerous things lurking out there that the people that let Gators spook them seem to never think about (My period key isn't working if anyone is wondering about the lack of punctuation) ICE, HYPOTHERMIA, VEHICLE ACCIDENTS, FALLING OUT OF BOATS, PROPELLERS, BODY GRIP TRAPS, BEING RUN OVER IN THE PARKING LOT, ACCIDENTALLY SHOT would be a few examples, (and unlike Gators I personally know of dogs that have suffered each and everyone of those)

There are things I do to lessen the small chance something might happen but honestly, based on fifty years of experience Gators truly are the "monster in the closet" The closet that proves to be empty once you open the door and look inside

As someone said Snakes are likely a bigger worry because they will strike out of defense and because they are hungry warm sunny days after cold spells puts them in the need to sun to warm up in our marshes that usually means they'll be up on big cattail islands which is where the cripples want to go THAT I worry about Gators I'm aware of and make allowances for but they aren't going to keep me from hunting a dog

I said this was the short answer Imagine if I had posted the long one?

Steve

I will say I was especially impressed with Hitch's airboat handling skills. Having had to traverse levees multiple times and, dry ground one time, he suggested Paul and I take the gear and leave the boat for safety reasons. I only wish we could have snapped a picture of his face as he navigated the ground in the airboat. This well executed feat gave new meaning to the word "airborne"... :)

These waterfowlers are extremely skillful at what they do with thier boats and, do an excellent job of respecting conditions... We felt very safe at all times... Pat

Steve.....I understand what your saying. People are kind of like that when it comes to snakes around in my neck of the woods. My friend did lose his prized bird dog to a Cottonmouth a couple of years ago. But as you know most snakes prefer to avoid you and your dog. My buddies dog had an especially aggressive nature and attacked the snake like it goes after possums, skunks, porcupines.....etc. This particular lesson cost it its life. If I was given the opportunity to hunt in your neck of the woods I would have to give it a try. But I have to admit, I would be keeping a keen eye out for large scaly things that might be lurking about. LOL!

Just got to assume where there's water, there are gators.

Where there is deep water (rim ditches, canals, cattail heads) there are big gators that will snatch a dog.

Back