Flying Decoys on Float Rig

I made one similar to that a few years ago, except with a y board configuration. It worked well on Eider.

Paul, I built similar for a Ure-a-duck spinner, and found it was a PITA because it was so bulky. But I was also transporting it on my 12ft BBSB! We have tides, so a stick on the mud is not practical, so it must be a floater. We have gone to single posts, counter balanced. They are free standing, and take up much less space.

View attachment IMG_2601[1].JPG

Dave - I see you went to considerable trouble to build a float post for the flyer. Very clever. Never deployed the float rig but I have used them here by sticking a 6' length of conduit in the mud. Doesn't take up too much space in the jon boat but the decoys are fragile and I take care to stow them safely under the front deck.

Actually wasn't my idea. The retailer had photos of their H rig and I merely came up with my own using some 1 x 2 - T nuts and wing nuts. The H frame folds up or can be taken apart. I never ended up using it as there are so many shallow water spots around and being inland we have no tides to contend with. The fliers do work pretty good if you have a moderate breeze. I also thinned down the wings to get more movement by removing material from the underside with a belt sander.
I have been using them ocasionally using poles. You might be able to make them out in the early light

View attachment IMG954865.jpg

Back