Garveys of NJ... Now with pics

Bet you didn't know there are Michigan Garveys now did ya?

Made all from local wood here in the UP. The epoxy, float foam and fasteners were made in other parts of the world I believe.

10-28-2010%20Duck%20Hunting%20016.jpg

Rich, Charlie was kind enough to take some time out of his morning and run me to the Bay for a ride in your custom garvey. Rides like a racehorse with just two in it! Quality Fall day... especially talking colors, blind materials, and just enjoying the salt air.

Scott, Charlie, I sure wish I were riding along with you guys! We are launching a 72 ft sportfish that we built, wednesday 10/22. The pucker factor is way off the scale. If all goes well I am dumping the work load of finishing, rigging, detailing, sea trialing her to my son. I have a plane ticket to North Dakota next Sunday hope to hunt with some friends for a week or so. John Van Houten is really whacking them right now, I cant wait, Rich

Brandon,

Are there plans available for that boat? I've been daydreaming about building a similar craft for quite some time...

Brandon,

Are there plans available for that boat? I've been daydreaming about building a similar craft for quite some time...

I built it after looking at lots of old boats and plans for those boats. It was built from plans but they were only in my head and a few notes on paper. I would have a hard time building it exactly the same again but if you decide to peruse that style let me know. I would be glad to go through the basic design concepts with you.

Brandon, My boat "Desert Duck" which by the way is the rarest of all ducks, was built pretty much the same way. I have been building garveys since the mid sixties. Almost all my boats were built by what some boat builders call "rack of eye". A neat way of mocking up a boat like this is to get some refrigerator cartons from the local appliance store, a razor knife and a hot glue gun. After a few general measurements from a similar boat you can mock up the whole boat in cardboard. When you are happy with the look and size, take it apart and use the cardboard pieces for patterns. Rich

Scott, Thank you. ..it seems that the builders of this boat just covered the stringers with heavy woven glass but left the wood exposed to the bilge water which rotted the wood and left the glass to crumble under the pounding of the waves....I can tell you if you can get one at a good price..The work is well worth it

Back