Good opening weekend

Scott Bell

I didn't want to deal with the opening weekend crowds on the public land here in KS, and wanted to hunt with my dad for the opener, so I headed back to Missouri for the weekend. Our little timber hole usually is good for a few wood ducks this time of year and if you're lucky you might get a gaddie or mallard to drop in as a bonus. Surprisingly, Saturday morning we were bombarded with green wing teal! Unfortunately, as teal can often do, a lot of them didn't commit much to landing, but would cruise by at tree-top level. It was definitely the best opening morning we've had there (we built the lake 5 years ago). No spectacular strap of ducks to display, but got to hang out with my dad and uncle and only had a couple hundred yard walk from the house to the blind where the dekes were already set up, the blind was already brushed up and all I had to do was call and mess with the dog, so I GUESS I can take that :)

This morning, we adjusted a bit with my dad and uncle setting up at the other end of the hole where the wood ducks had been landing on Saturday. Dad's new pup joined us for her first hunt and got to start putting things together which was cool. Bailey and I had a good ring side seat to the show, but didn't fire a shot (passed on a few marginal shots). They had several small bunches of wood ducks and a few teal come in as well as a lone mallard. It was a great weekend to be outside and a good start to the season. Seeing the number of ducks around there already was really encouraging. My season here in Kansas begins tomorrow!

I hope everyone's season is starting out (or going) well!

View attachment Bailey2.JPG

Bailey on task. She's still a knucklehead at times, but she loves to hunt and is great to hunt with. She's got it figured out, except for misses. She still gives me that unforgiving look when I miss the mallard hovering over the decoys :)

View attachment Dad gordon abby.JPG
My uncle, dad and his new golden Abby. She's pure energy at this point. On the last duck of the day, she saw it coming in, get shot and fall, so perhaps the pieces will all fit together for her quickly.

Sure glad you could hunt with your father and uncle. Had to chuckle about that "look" on the misses. Chili still does that to me.
Al

Scott,
I thought this thread would be about Olsburg. Glad you had a good time with your family. I'll give you a shout when I get back from Texas next week.
Best,
Roy

Back