Happy New Year what's on your workbench

Bob,

Looks like good times. My season is done but that doesn't stop me from being on the water. I really do mean ON the water. I've been running across the frozen lakes chasing the crappies thru the ice. Fourteen inches of ice and getting thicker by the day. Dani, if you're reading this it was minus17 degrees this morning. (wuss, hehe)

So Bob, When are we going to see the full strap of ducks just waiting to be brought to the table?

Season may be over for me unless I buy another out of state tag or drive three hours. Has been a great duck season. I hunted two zones in Mo plus NW Texas. Hunted with 15 different people and only had one shoot hat was not excellent. I have three urns to get busy on, eight cans and birds for Strongville.

starting to put some new stuff together for Argentina in the shop--Get out occasionally to chase the fowl down here.

We are still chasing ducks as well but I have a few repairs to do and several calls to get out so my bench is a bit busy. Also got it in my head that I want to figure out a goose flute. Keeps me sane I guess.

View attachment Bench.JPG

Last edited:
still have a ways to go

86D12E3C.jpg

This poor guy has been sitting around for a long time waiting to get his bill painted. Weight and leahter loop and he is ready for the last week of the season.

9A368BE4-513B-4B92-AF55-BA0BD3865CDC-27565-000016E4D4D7D695.jpg

I carved this large Northern Pike several years ago for a fishing buddy and have just not had the right situation to get it painted. Well I'm determined to get it done in the next couple weeks.

Started painting the head this evening and am happy with it so far. About 12 inches of fish right there.
0103032109_zpsb9bc4e2f.jpg

Unfortunately there is over 30 inches of fish behind that point.

0103032109a_zps7020231b.jpg

Tim

That is a nice spot you have to hunt in, Bob.

Tim, I, too, will look forward to more pics of the pike.
Al

Tim,
I had no idea that a pike's operculum was that big/long? Learned something new today!

Thanks guys.
Mark, as always I wouldn't use my carvings or paintings as an identification guide. :) I screwed up on a couple things but overall I think I got it fairly well proportioned. Some big pike have huge slab sided heads.

Tim

Tim,
That is a cool project. How are the fins inserted into the body? Any type of filler needed or is it a tight fit?

I left a post on the fins so I could epoxy them into a hole in the body. There is some putty around them.
Tim

tim, looks great! what material is the body? I've carved several <20" trout from my tupelo stock, but i promised my dad a Striper at some point. thought about some nice carving foam instead of trying to piece together that much wood

Jeff

Tim,
That is a cool project. How are the fins inserted into the body? Any type of filler needed or is it a tight fit?

I left a post on the fins so I could epoxy them into a hole in the body. There is some putty around them.
Tim

Thanks Jeff,
It is wood all pieced together. It's poplar from the local mega home improvement store. It carves fairly well.

Tim

Back