Headed to the Outer Banks in a few weeks....

Nate Grace

I'm headed to the Nag's Head area of the Outer Banks in a few weeks. I haven't been there in about 20 years. Looking forward to a nice little break from everything. We're looking at doing a bunch of day trips from the house. I'd love to find a few duck/decoy related places to visit. Not sure we'll have time to make it all the way down to Harker's Island to see the museum there. Any ideas or tips on places to visit on the Outer Banks? I'd love to find some shark's teeth with the kids.

Some fishing and foraging is definitely in order. I can't wait to catch a mess of blue crabs and maybe a few flounder.

Thanks in advance, and I hope the summer is going well for each of you.

Nate

Haven't been there in years, but check out The Bird Store on 158 in kill devil hills. Last I was there, there were a lot of decoys for sale and some other cool pieces.

I've spend a lot of time on the Outer Banks. Here are my recommendations:

The Whalehead Club in Corrolla is just north of Nags Head and has a waterfowl exhibit, I believe. You can also see the Currituck Lighthouse, wild ponies, and wade out in to the sound.

Also,...consider riding through Manteo over to the mainland and the Alligator Wildlife Refuge, arriving about sundown, to look for Black Bears. You can drive on gravel roads adjacent to large wheat fields and will likely see several giant bears.

Restaurant recommendations in Nags Head...Kelly's, Tortuga's Lie, Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe, Nags Head Fishing Pier, and The Jolly Roger .

Jennette's Pier is a state-owned concrete pier and has sea life exhibits. It also allows fishing, of course.

The Decoy Store on the "by-pass" in Kill Devil Hills does have a nice collection of deoys and related items for sale.

Nags head Woods is a quiet place for some nature viewing.

The NC Dept. of Transportation has begun building a new bridge across Oregon Inlet, so I cannot advise on how traffic is affected going to Hatteras Island...probably a nightmare.

The OBX has grown so much in the past 20 years that is truly is crowded nowadays.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Nate,
Update and let us know of your experiences with pictures would be nice of the journey to the Outer Banks. My wife and I are moving to Charlotte, NC here in a few weeks. Since we both have come accustomed to coastal living I am certain our journey will takes us on many of adventures along the Outer Banks. Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!
Regards,
Kristan

Kristan,

I will be bringing my Canon and GoPro for sure. Expect to see some photos here in early July when we get back.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let us hit a few Civil War battlefields on the way home. My Dad and I did a similar trip 20+ years ago and stopped at many battle sites in MD, VA, and finally stopped at Gettysburg on the way back. I had kinfolk fight at Gaines Mills and Cold Harbor. Would be good for the kids to see those places.

Very best,
Nate

As Joe said, make sure you go north to Corolla to visit the Whalehead Hunt Club and the waterfowl/decoy museum just north of the Hunt Club. Also, on your way to Whalehead you can check out the Pine Island Audubon Sanctuary. Pine Island was one of the historic hunt clubs on the Outer Banks; several years ago the club house and all the Club's associated marsh was gifted to the Audubon Society. Before you go, check the Audubon website to see what programs they are running.

I've spent a good portion of my life on the Outer Banks - feel free to PM if you have any questions or want other recommendations such as restaurants, fishing guides etc.

Nate, everything mentioned is worth seeing. I'd add pea island wildlife refuge to the list. Not many ducks this time of year but plenty of shore birds, turtles, and wading birds. It's south of nags head. If nothing else you can feed the mosquitos if the wind dies. I like watching the sport fishing boats come into Oregon inlet fishing center in the afternoon. Plenty of places to flounder gig if your set up for it. For food I think blue moon cafe and the black pelican are the best on the OBX. Whale head club is the best duck related spot. Lots of small decoy stores. Wild horses in Corolla. I think Saturday is the turnover day for most of the rentals, so I wouldn't plan a lot of driving on Saturday. Traffic can be pretty bad. Enjoy the trip

Back