Henry Taubert Sr.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this website and have a question for those who are well educated about decoys. Especially the decoys carved by Henry Taubert Sr.. My husband is Henry's grandson but knows very little about him. Any information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. What types of ducks would he carve? What wood would he use? I recently purchased a Taubert decoy for my husband's upcoming birthday. This will be the first one in our entire Taubert family.
Thank you for all your help.
Stephanie

Stephanie: Direct from the Parmalee and Loomis book "Decoys and Decoy Carvers of Illinois" (out of print).
Henry L. Taubert Sr. 1870-1934 Pekin, IL: Henry began carving decoys when he was 15 and continued until he died. He made about 200 mallards, pintails,bluebills and canvasback, primarily for his own use although he sold a few commercially. The bodies were fashioned from two hollowed out pieces of white pine, and the heads were carved with a pocketknife. Most decoys had painted eyes although some have either tack or glass eyes. Decoys were painted in lifelike detail and were durable and accurate in relation to form and general appearance. Taubert did most of his hunting with the Bechtold brothers who lived on a cabin boat at the mouth of the Mackinaw River. Lenard Doren, also of Pekin, learned the art of decoy carving from Taubert.

Ken Zaborski

Pat is probably out on the road to his Canada hunt. I'm sure he will check in here at some point. He will have some good info for you.

Hi Stephanie! So good to hear from you and I too applaud what you are doing. I am enroute to Canada for a week but will contact you when I get back. I look forward to helping you.

Pat Gregory
Bloomington, IL

Back